Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to scoop a 74 Sporty and was wondering has anyone flipped the foot controls.
Is it a big deal:confused: Jockey would be the goal !!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I dont know much about right side shift sportys. but would it be as easy to just switch the throttle to the left side like old indians and jockey shift it like that? It would certainly confuse the hell out of a thief :rolleyes:

·
Registered
552 Posts
i have seen people use the brake crossover tube for setting up a jockey shift

·
Registered
825 Posts
OR just shift with the right hand....you let off the throttle when you shift don't you?

When I broke my leg I just added a hand lever to my foot shifter on t he sporty...that way I could still ride in my cast.....but I still had the hand clutch....so I did a "Cross over" shift with my right hand and it worked fine. (o and I added a side car)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im gonna keep a hand clutch and shift with my right. Wont win races, but I cant do much as far as motor work goes anyway.

·
Registered
866 Posts
just this weekend I added a right side jockey to my '70, everything else is normal (still throttle on right clutch on left etc.) didn't take long to get the hang of it, was kinda fun. I think it shifts a little better now because getting rid of the forward controls eliminated the extra linkage (slop) in the shifting mechanism. I think the extra leverage is causing the shift arm to slip some on the shaft though, gonna try to drill and tap the shift arm and put a set screw in there and see if it helps

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks on the input!
Seems 74 was last year of right foot shift??.

Gonna get it tonight and just plate it for now.
Lotta shit to change!
Will show a pic later and ya can let loose on me;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
i got a 69 right hand shift as well. i love it... plus no one ever wants to ride your bike.....

·
Registered
726 Posts
No problems switching over, anyone with a parts source can help you out. Did my 73 Shorty that way.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ya '74 was the last year for the Limy side. Harley found out that just switching the brake and shifter, didn't help the Sportster's ability to compete with the Brits, too heavy and handled like a Sherman Tank.

·
Registered
411 Posts
RippoDippo said:
About to scoop a 74 Sporty and was wondering has anyone flipped the foot controls.
Is it a big deal:confused: Jockey would be the goal !!
Here is a bike I had a couple years ago I did that to. I kept the clutchlever on the jockey shifter, just cut and welded a drag bar to the crossover and ran it. Took about 2 stoplights to get used to and then it was all fun. Plus less people asked to take it on a ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
People ask to ride your bikes!?!?!?! WTF.....

Does the fact that people DON'T ask to ride mine mean something?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Big Al, i didn't need to ask. while you were goofing around inside the Continental during Round-up weekend, i rode your bike all the way to Bastrop and back! sweet ride, man!

about the sporty, i had a '74 and put a right-hand shifter on it. to tell you the truth i didn't dig it that much. the lever bounced around and would slip sometimes on accounta the smooth shaft (no splines). jockey and foot clutch is way more fun.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Eveldave said:
Big Al, i didn't need to ask. while you were goofing around inside the Continental during Round-up weekend, i rode your bike all the way to Bastrop and back! sweet ride, man!
HA HA HA!!! That explains the stain on my seat!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts