Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first time at this, so I'm counting on you guys for help :)

I'm going to try to make as many of my own parts as I can, and I'll be doing all the work myself. I'm going to try to keep it simple, since I want to have a ridable bike come spring.

I'll be posting updates in this thread as I go.

Started here, for $1300, rode it as is all summer.

After some work today, she's in pieces:

The paper bags are full of hardware, and are labelled.

The only wrench I have that will fit the swingarm attachment nut is an adjustable wrench, and it's not grabbing well enough for me to get the nut loose. If I buy a socket large enough, should I be able to get it off (with a cheater bar if necessary), or am I better off finding someone with an impact wrench?

I'll be getting a hardtail from Hammer in Hand cycles, I've already got a king Sportster tank, Biltwell keystone bars, and some other cool bits. I'll be attempting the oil tank, seat, mid-controls, etc myself.

Edit: Managed to mis-spell the thread title. If a mod wouldn't mind...
________
Lovely Wendie

·
Registered
601 Posts
good luck on the project. on my 79 if i remember right i just unbolted it. the "nut" was actually a long axle (pivot bolt). support the swingarm, slide the bolt out and then just pull off the swingarm. the only thing i see different for your year according to my manual is after you remove the pivot bolt, says then remove the bearing lockwasher. hope this helps. good luck. looking forward to fallowing the build from another rhode islander.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hm, I don't have my manual in front of me, but I was reading it earlier - I think it said something like "remove the swingarm nut and the swingarm can be disassembled" - not very helpful :)
thats about it. once the pivot bolt is out the swingarm comes off. even the manual explanation is just a paragraph.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Keith, if you want a dead-nuts reliable '74 ironhead you have to take care of the shit that ALWAYS screws with IHs:

They don't charge well.
Shitcan the factory gennies (they're not worth rebuilding 183 times) and spend some bucks on a Cycle Electric unit with the built-in regulator on the end cap.

The clutch adjustment is nonstop and a bullshit system.
Take the leap into the 21st century and eliminate the piece-of-shit balls & ramp adjustment mechanism and replace that entire mess with a nice hassle (and adjustment)-free hydraulic clutch ( http://www.tequilapress.com/hclutch/ )

The points & condenser units suck ass.
Those old timing units are worn out and the replacements available nowadays are all Chinese crap.
Again, move into the modern world with single-fire electronic ignition.
Your kicking leg will thank you when you're older.

Those original wiring harnesses are firetraps.
Eliminate shorts and gremlins by re-wiring that bitch yourself, running it through the frame where it belongs, and cutting out every unnecessary idiot light and piece of "safety" equipment (blinkers, horn, etc.) that your state will let you get away with.

It'll eventually leak motor oil into the primary.
That motor oil will soak your clutch plates and fuck them up.
Pop off the primary cover and weld up the center orifice on the oil transfer valve, after you yank out the screen that's in there.
Trust me on this.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am doing the same thing to my 74....HIH hardtail. mine is just now down to frame. swingarm pivot bolt was easy, you won't need a cheater bar.

while mine is down to bare frame I have been spending a little time cleaning the frame. shitty looking factory welds, welding slag and splatter all over the place near every weld, etc. working with a file for now, then will go to 3m surfacing discs, then sandpaper.
the seatmount (above backbone) had been cut off my frame at some point, so I am going to cut off what is left of it (below the backbone)

I won't be ordering my HT unit till after Christmas and New Years...so I have plenty to do in the meant time.

Nice to see someone else doing the same thing I am at the same time....someone to ask if I run into any problems/questions

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just outa curiousity why are you tearin it all the way down? Nice bike though
Forks had to come off for shaving, swingarm needs to come off to be replaced with a hard tail, oil tank, battery, etc all getting relocated or changed. At that point, may as well take the motor out and repaint the frame.

Thanks for the advice, DopeDog - most of that stuff was on my list already :)

________
Wendie 99

·
Registered
463 Posts
Keith, if you want a dead-nuts reliable '74 ironhead you have to take care of the shit that ALWAYS screws with IHs:

They don't charge well.
Shitcan the factory gennies (they're not worth rebuilding 183 times) and spend some bucks on a Cycle Electric unit with the built-in regulator on the end cap.

The clutch adjustment is nonstop and a bullshit system.
Take the leap into the 21st century and eliminate the piece-of-shit balls & ramp adjustment mechanism and replace that entire mess with a nice hassle (and adjustment)-free hydraulic clutch ( http://www.tequilapress.com/hclutch/ )

The points & condenser units suck ass.
Those old timing units are worn out and the replacements available nowadays are all Chinese crap.
Again, move into the modern world with single-fire electronic ignition.
Your kicking leg will thank you when you're older.

Those original wiring harnesses are firetraps.
Eliminate shorts and gremlins by re-wiring that bitch yourself, running it through the frame where it belongs, and cutting out every unnecessary idiot light and piece of "safety" equipment (blinkers, horn, etc.) that your state will let you get away with.

It'll eventually leak motor oil into the primary.
That motor oil will soak your clutch plates and fuck them up.
Pop off the primary cover and weld up the center orifice on the oil transfer valve, after you yank out the screen that's in there.
Trust me on this.
awesome list of suggestions for any ironhead owner

·
Registered
74 Posts
sounds like a fun project man, I'm building a 73 IH right now actually, probably going in the same general direction...I'll be checking your thread as often as possible, to see if i can pull ideas and tips from yours...that list of things to change on IHs is great...once again i'll say, this board owns

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well it sounds like great minds do think alike. IH bobber, you and I all in the same boat apparently. I have a 71IH that Ive torn to nothing. Im down to frame and case only. I got my hardtail in from Hammer in Hand about two weeks ago. I got the bolt on and Im assuming you are talking about the same. FYI, Ivan was excellent, the thing fits like a glove and I had it in no time at all. Additionally, I have him build in a battery box and even with that I had it in maybe two weeks. It was everything they claim. Totally excited. Keep the pics coming and ill try to do the same. Been lagging on mine but I got my motor stand ordered (I cant weld) on Friday so the case is coming out soon and I can start working on cleaning up the frame. Im want to go with a round oil tank and solo seat. I still have the original seat mounts. Im curious what you guys have planned for mounting the oil tank if you are going the same route and how you intend to deal with a solo seat if thats the plan.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I think I'll probably do a cylindrical oil tank, perhaps from a Bung King kit. Seat will probably be a tuck and roll Cobra style, if I can make that happen.

Not sure what to do about a motor stand at this point - not planning to do a whole lot of motor work, so I'll probably put it on a wooden dolly of some sort.

Thanks for the info on the swing arm - I'll grab a bigger socket tomorrow.
________
Vaporite vaporizer parts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Nice sporty to start out with! Dope Dog hit it out of the park with his suggestion list. I would add: Super E carb and andrews Y cams. Large Manley Severe duty Exhaust Valves 1.625 (the single biggest performance boost in my opinion) and anti -reversion pipes or cones. I've built two Ironheads with these exact specs with wiseco 10-1 pistons and both bikes hauled ass and started first kick hot or cold. If the engines in good shape, at least do the suggestions on Dope Dogs list, and I'd say pretty much in the order he has them listed. The cycle electric generator will really clean up the wiring and eliminate the big cobby regulator ( Bosch or Delco) that they came with. Another nice update is the gel -cell battery. you'll find a lot of corrosion and rust under your battery box in my experience. Thats eliminated with the closed cell batteries.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Quote: "Not sure what to do about a motor stand at this point - not planning to do a whole lot of motor work, so I'll probably put it on a wooden dolly of some sort."

Mike47 will make you an engine stand if you need one, you can check out his work in the jock shop.
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42473&page=2

Good luck with the build, looks like a fun project, I am local also if you need any help.
Steve

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I spiffed up the charging system a bit while riding this summer - cleaned the generator, replaced the battery with a sealed AGM unit. I'll definitely be rewiring since the old wiring was a tangled mess with 30 yrs of quick fixes, and now it's a tangled mess in my trash can :) I also have a CV carb ready to go on - I know it won't make as much power as the S&S, but it was really cheap. I'll be switching a bunch of gaskets, bearings, bushings, general hardware, etc as I go.

It has a Dyna S ignition, not sure if I want to lay down the cash to switch to a full electronic ignition and nix the mechanical advance.

Also not sure about whether to plug the primary crossover valve - tons of discussion either way on that one.

Basically just trying to keep it under budget, and end up with a running bike when the warm days in April roll around :) I think the plan is going to be to put it back together with the existing carb and ignition, prove it runs, then switch to the CV carb. Hydraulic clutch and a kicker kit (this is an XLCH that has been converted to electric only) are definitely on the plate as well, time and budget permitting.
________
Threesome Tubes

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
If you plug the cross over, just make shure you cheack the primary oil, and your motor will love ya for it, let me know what your gonna do with that S&S, I need one for my shovel.....Roach.

·
Registered
68 Posts
be carefull with the swing arm bolt and nut the primary side has a slot that it sits in and holds from spinning i took my motor out then removed mine as i did not want to see a broke case and once i had the motor out i had one hell of a time getting mine off i ended up drilling the nut off

1 - 20 of 241 Posts