Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
74 Ironhead - Removing rear Fork question? (SOLVED) (Added pic of hardtail)

I hate starting new posts but couldn't find an answer in the search.

Anyone have any tips on removing the rear fork from an old sporty (74 FLHI mean XLH)? I removed everything I thought I needed too. Pulled the pin and thought it should just slip out. Been trying a pry bar, a mallet and it's not budging.

Any tips or experience would be helpful,

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: 74 Ironhead - Removing rear Fork question?

last time I had that problem I managed to fit a steel wedge somewhere back in there and hammerd on that until the swing arm just popped out...

hope that makes sense..

·
Banned
438 Posts

You mean removing the swing arm? To remove the swingarm you need to remove the axle. Once the axle is removed you then need to remove the large nut that the axle goes through on the swingarm. That nut holds the bushing tight to the frame mount. Once that nut is off it will take the pressure of the frame and the swing arm will wiggle off. Do not try to pry the swing arm off as I have had more bent frames repairs due to this.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

You mean removing the swing arm? To remove the swingarm you need to remove the axle. Once the axle is removed you then need to remove the large nut that the axle goes through on the swingarm. That nut holds the bushing tight to the frame mount. Once that nut is off it will take the pressure of the frame and the swing arm will wiggle off. Do not try to pry the swing arm off as I have had more bent frames repairs due to this.
A.R. knows what he's talking about. BUT get a manual and read it. Read a post The other day where a bunch of guys that should know better had a guy getting pullers and presses and pry bars and dynamite to take a shift lever off to reposition it, when the voice of reason piped up and said...........eh did you take the set screw out of it?!?. Oh yeah, a manual is your best friend, cuz as you can see free advice ain't always the best.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Thanks guys I did get it. Yes I read the manual 1st. it said pull the pivot bolt and the lock washer which i did, But the bastard was wedged in tough.
1st: tried a mallet (FAIL)
2nd: tried a home made winch. (FAIL)
3rd: Back to Mallet and pry bar (Fail)
4th: Removed everything that stopped the swing arm from swinging downward and let the pivot of the frame pull it off. (WIN-came off without much effort)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Actually I have exactly the same problem..I have been able to pull out the axle but the problem is that large nut (abt size 35mm). Since the visible top of it is so low (sorry for my bad english) it is nearly impossible to screw it to any direction. Is there any good tool for that? Or is there a screw thread anyway?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts