Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's ample information on doing this with the 4 speeds, has anyone done it with a 5 speed transmission? Are there any differences in the conversion between the two? I've heard it's advisable to change out the cam plate to the plunger style on the conversion for 4 speeds. Is this likewise for the 5 speeds? And if so, any ideas on where a 5 speed plunger cam plate that works in exchange for the 5 speed leafspring cam plate can be tracked down? I can't afford to make mistakes at this point, I'm weighing the pro's and cons between installing this conversion with the 5 speed or just buying a new leaf spring.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I converted my 1971 T120RV last year. I believe 1971's and 72's both used the 57-4360 camplate. At the time I had a 1973 750 (factory produced with a plunger, camplate part #57-4363) apart and I compared the cam plates but couldn't see a difference. If there was a dimensional change, it was very subtle. Not like the 4 speeds where you can tell an early camplate from a late one from across the room. The early 5 speed camplate works just fine with a plunger. BTW, the leaf spring 4 speed camplate, #57-4055, also works well with a plunger. It was introduced well before the leaf springs were. Most of the 1970 650's used it with a plunger, not to mention Tridents and probably BSA Rocket 3's.

Eric

·
Registered
748 Posts
What the fuck is in the water these new guys have been drinking?? Look 6 threads (right now anyway) below yours and you will find all your answers. It's titled "Triumph TR6R and T120R differences? Help" if that makes it any more obvious.
Funny how you even used the right terms in your post that would have allowed you to find the information if you had used the search. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the clarification Eric, answered everything I was curious about.

skajaquada, I've looked (even harder after your comment) and have yet to find anything in regards to whether there is a difference between a 5 speed plunger camplate and a 5 speed leafspring camplate in previous posts. Admittedly, I'm relatively new to Triumphs and something may have gone over my head..

·
Registered
748 Posts
Lemme help you out with a little deductive reasoning...in ALL the threads where people are doing the plunger conversion did anybody mention using a different camplate? Nope, they all just changed to the plunger detent and it worked fine hence no mention of changing the camplate. In the link I posted in the other thread it goes to another thread (SEARCH DAMMIT!!) where the guy chimes in who made and rents out the jig for the conversion. Did you even go to his links? I don't mean to come off as an ass but like I pointed out, you already have the resources for the info. This is why I see little need for this thread to use up bandwidth to ask a question that's already been answered several times...this week.

oh, and btw...the camplate difference seems to be in the shape of the notches for the detent. Very slight but I noticed it on the last 5spd I had torn down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad I got a decisive answer. I'd already started talking to Mike about renting his kit prior to this post. He informed me that he was uncertain about my question with the 5 speed camplate. I'd read through his site multiple times, searched both triumphrat and jockeyjournals boards, and from the reading I've done there are mixed reviews on swapping the cam plate on the 4 speed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Has anyone noticed a slight difference in the shape of the notches for the detent in the last 5 speed they pulled down ???

I'm just wondering about my cam plate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts