Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, theres not a ton to show just yet, but Im bored as shit so a thread Ill start.

Basically, I have a really cool friend, who is way too kind to me. I have always wanted an Ironhead, and he happened to have a basket case. Needs a total motor rebuild, and is missing a lot of stuff but the price he gave me was beyond good so I said HELL YES.

Only problem is that Im in PA, and hes in AL. Luckily I have some other REALLY killer buddies headed that way next month for the Barber Vintage MC thingy.

So right now, Im in the tossing and turning insomniac stage of the project. Going over the "plan" (as if Ill stick to it, :rolleyes:) in my head and trying to nail down some parts.

So far a weld-on hardtail section is getting ordered (Santee, and yeah I know... some guys hate them) and taken to my pal Troys place in WV for some kinky metal on metal action.

Once thats done Ill start the motor build. Im hoping its not missing too many bits. The motor is getting almost entirely blacked out save for some polished bits here and there. You see, I HATE polishing almost as much as I hate having to constantly clean polished stuff so it doesnt look like ass.

Yes it looks amazing, and really sets a bike apart when done right, but call me lazy, call me what you will... I HATE POLISHING.

Anhow...

A couple weeks ago my buddy calls me and says some cat neat him is selling all kinds of bike parts on the cheap. So, we headed over.

Long story short, I picked up a TON of killer old chopper bits. E&L cobra seat (for sale...), TriBar sissy bar (sold), etc... Im unloading everything I got except for the OG Wassell tank that looks unused, but a little dinged up:

Im 99% sure Ill be using the tank. Unless I find one I like more. We'll see.

Next up is the front end. Im using a CB750 19" front wheel mated to some CB650 forks. The reason being, the goddamn 650 fork lowers are pieces of mechanical art, and a 750 wheel is basically the same size as the stock HD.

If you have never seen them:

Purdy...

Ill be running a cool old light a friend in Ohio is hooking me up with. I have no clue what its from, but I dig it.

Here it is mocked up on his little beater bobber dealy:

To finish off the front end, Ill be running some clip-ons from Homage Moto Works. My main man Lee runs the joint in OR, and turns out some of the slickets metal bits an pieces you could ever wish to see.

Check his shite out here:

http://swaggeringpagan.blogspot.com/?zx=e9b9114a27a38696

Other than that, Im up in the air on a lot of stuff. I know Ill keep the stock rear wheel, as I dig the raw and functional look of the HD drum. Probobly run a front disk, or maybe nothing. We'll see.

Standard solo seat that Ill have covered in something neat by a local guy Jim, at Alchemy Upholstery here in West Penn.

Shot of a seat he just did for a friend:

As far as paint, I like dark. Its hard for me not to paint everything black. Maybe its repressed guilt from watching the scene where Darth Vader dies when I was a kid, or an underlying obsession with semi popular Rolling Stones songs. All I know is I like black and there will likely be a good bit of it involved here.

Ill do something fun on the tins Im sure.

This is the last tank I did. Not bad for rattle cans in the driveway if I do say so myself. Hahaha:

I also really like simple, so outside of the headlight and taillight, there will be nothing else. Accel capacitor, toggle switch ignition, etc... Ive heard this is not a great idea with a finickey asshole like the Ironhead so this may change. We shall see.

Im waiting on either a Super-E or 40mm Mikuni (more to the point, Im waiting to see which I can get for less dough(.

Oil tank will be a simple drum, under the seat style. Unles I decide against the Wassell, than we may be modding something to run as a fuel/oil tank for cleaner lines.

Ok... I think Ive bored the shit out of you enough for now. Hopefully I can get some pics of the pile o parts Ive agreed to try and bring back to life here soon.

Until then, heres some good looking ladie folk:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rock On! Looks like a fun one to watch!
Kev
Hey Kev! Hows it goin bud?

Ok gents... I need a hand. Can anyone tell me what motor goes in this frame? Haha... I can get it for a killer price, but dont knwo what its set up for and the guy Im getting it from doesnt either. I can always make it work for my Ironhead, but would still like to know what this is actually for.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the frame help guys.

Not much to report just yet. Hardtail is on order. Debating on a tank right now. The Wassell is rad, but honestly, there on every 3rd bike now-a-days.

I have a buddy whos got a Softtail tank I may be able to get for next to nothing, With some liberal use of the angle grinder and welder it could be cool. I dont know... Ill figure something out Im sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well... Yup... Still just waiting. Im without regular computer access right now too, so updates will be timed randomly at best.

Im debating whether I feel like using the Sporty front end or the Honda. Im sure Ill stick with the Honda, even though its a 36mm and the HD is a 39mm. The lowers are so pretty on the Honda, and once the forks are shortened to level the ride height with the hardtail they wont be long enough for flex to be that big of an issue.

Anyway. Once I get a few bucks together (the time off between old and new jobs is killing me...) Ill work on a seat and some other bits for the bike.

Part of the benifit of the new job is access to a machine shop so Im hoping I can make some really rad one off stuff.

We'll see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts