Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are the lower legs interchangable on the fork tubes?
I would love to put the manual drum on instead of the rattling disc setup, and need to know if I get the drum "stuff" w/ the correct lower legs will they swap right on to my fork tubes.

jeff

·
Registered
60 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want. Drums are old school and look cool but they dont stop you like a disc brake, they slow you down. they make for a good conversation piece though. I run front and rear drums on both my pans. But i also live in the sticks now. If i lived in a metropolitan area with kammakazee cab drivers u bet id have disc brakes.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Main reason is to ditch the original caliper. I hate how much it rattles, it sounds like the front end is coming apart.
My 45 min commute to work everyday is mostly back rds and the idea of a front drum dosent worry me at all.

Looks like my idea of a swap will be sidelined, I had no idea how expensive the front drum wheel is for this setup.

jeff

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Main reason is to ditch the original caliper. I hate how much it rattles, it sounds like the front end is coming apart.
My 45 min commute to work everyday is mostly back rds and the idea of a front drum dosent worry me at all.
Looks like my idea of a swap will be sidelined, I had no idea how expensive the front drum wheel is for this setup.

jeff
There is a spring that goes in the mount, is it there? You might need a new one. Or you might try some of the foam insulation tape (don't know what else to call it) between the leg and the caliper. It sort of dampens things. Or if you want to get rid of the banana caliper GMA, and probably others, make a set up that rigid mounts the caliper on a bracket off the axle for this frontend.
Larry T

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want. Drums are old school and look cool but they dont stop you like a disc brake, they slow you down. they make for a good conversation piece though. I run front and rear drums on both my pans. But i also live in the sticks now. If i lived in a metropolitan area with kammakazee cab drivers u bet id have disc brakes.
That's such Bullshit,,so tired of people saying that

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I have been running drum brakes for years now, and, yes, they don't stop you as fast, but properly maintained(a couple of times a year), they most definately will do more than "slow you down". So don't let all the naysayers stop you. And if you have any swapmeets near, you may find a good deal on a drum wheel, and all the other stuff. I just bought a complete, panhead drum front end for 300 dollars, and it does not have the wheel, but it has all the drum parts, and I already had the wheel. Or put a ad on here, WTB section, for the wheel and drum parts, or a complete front end, and then, sell yours, on here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jeff, I totally understand how you feel. I had a stripped FL wide glide with banna caliper, disc set up that I swapped my 72 night train narrow with stock drum for. I rattled and made a hell of a racket. It looked good with it on it and it handled pretty decent. I think if you want a drum brake assembly they by all means go for it. Like I said i run em on both my pans. As far as price that depends on whether you want a nice shiney aftermarket parts or good old used OEM. I prefer the latter if possible.

Tom

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
I took a little scrap of fuel line and swedged it in between the caliper and fork tube real nice and tight, and it hasn't made a single rattle or peep since . A lot cheaper than replacing a bunch of stuff .

·
Registered
60 Posts
I guess I upset a few people with my comment Jeff, and that's good. Hey if you want to put a drum on thats fine bro. Like I said I run them on both of my panheads. Ive only owned three bikes with stock disc brakes and the rest were factory drum brakes. To tell you the truth they look great, but no comparison to disc brakes. I have been in some compromising situations were good brakes are essential. Riding down I90 two abreast in a pack of 40-50 bikes, runnning 70mph during rush hour i want to be sure i can stop on a dime. Now puttin to the local watering hole or on some back cuntry road then thats fine. At any rate, you have the right to do as you want as you will.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Hi Jeff
If I have read your original post its more the issue of noise rather than looks, with a drum just being one of the posible solutions. For the $ it will cost you to swap over have you thought of a PM or similar caliper and disc. Two critical systems on any vehicle, steering and brakes. Just a thought.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Jeff
If I have read your original post its more the issue of noise rather than looks, with a drum just being one of the posible solutions.
the noise does bug me, but the main reason for a swap would be the early looks of the drum.

jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts