Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i put on a jockey shift to hand shift i want to change it up n fab a braket off the top motor mount braket attached to the frame use that bracket as my pivot point with handle above n extension rod to my shift linkage but my shift linkage to me already seem extremelyfar between the shifts example sitting on the scoot and i shift into first with my hand and pull back for second im moving my hand a distance of 8 inches so i want to make that distance shorter and im stumped on how to get that shorter travel distance can anyone please help

·
Registered
61 Posts
Geometry. If you mount a rod closer to the pivot point you will need less travel distance. The length of the handle on your hand shift dictates the distance you need to move the handle. Use this principle in figuring out the mounting of each connecting rod in the linkage.
It's not as easy for me to explain without pictures, I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oGeometry. If you mount a rod closer to the pivot point you will need less travel distance. The length of the handle on your hand shift dictates the distance you need to move the handle. Use this principle in figuring out the mounting of each connecting rod in the linkage.

thanks doug u answered my question maybe i was wording it fucked up but yea i knew it was a geometry thing just couldnt come up with it in my head but thanks again got the idea now. nothings messed up on it i just need to figure out how to take out the distance i move my hand between shifts
It's not as easy for me to explain without pictures, I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
and if you are lucky the Harley guys won't flame your ass for putting a "Jockey shifter" on your bike.
It's needs to be referred to as a "non essential, ergonomically incorrect hand shift" on a Triumph.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it aint even a jockey shift just extened the rod n turn it up but where the top motor mount is i want to connect a pivot point have the handle above by the tank then the rod below conects to the trans so well see how it goes

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
so you are trying to make a "Tank shift" style shifter, right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts