Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this 71 TR6R for a little over a year now. Just finished with the engine. So i figured I'd post some pictures of the project. Planning on welding a FMW hardtail on the original OIF.

The engine got fresh gaskets and seals of course. Had the crank polished. Fresh rod bearings. Wes White hooked the head up with some aluminum spigots. I lapped the valves in by hand. Replaced the wrist pin bushings. The cylinders had some pitting; so I got some .060 Emgo pistons and had the jug bored. Had to replace the primary chain and the clutch fibers.

I'm planning on running the stock points for now with a harley coil. Got a podtronics regulator / battery eliminator.

I hope to have it on the road by Spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I like the David Bird Loop too. The picture of the OIF hardtail on the Lowbrow website was my inspiration to go ahead with this build, but The Factory Metal Works hardtail is supposed to fit without modifying the stock tank. This is my first shot at building a bike. So I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Witha C; 'scuse me but that alt' output cable looks awful vunerable to being chaffed by the primary chain if left routed that way. I take mine an zip tie it to the 3o'clock stud and route it up tight as possible to the rear case and through the exit exit hole, ie behind the primary chain.
just a thought.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right now I'm recovering from the holidays. I hope to get back to work by the end of January. Next step is to buy the hardtail and get it properly fitted. I have the frame completely apart now. Need to swap the long fork tubes for some stockers.

I wouldn't be opposed to ruining the swing arm, but this year model is so tall, it's like mounting a crotch rocket.

I did get the points installed. So the engine is basically complete. I'm on a tight budget. So, I left the stock leaf spring in the gearbox. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the inquiries.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update...

After some careful consideration and checking out the "keeping triumph shocks" thread, I've decided to leave the swingarm as is and get this thing on the road. I like the look of the cobra tuck and roll seats that I've seen. I'm debating on whether to shorten the rear of the frame where the seat mounts. Gonna use the stock fender and bob it a few inches.

I've got the fork tubes apart, and I'm looking for some stock length tubes. The tubes that came with the bike are from Forking by Frank and appear to be about 6" over stock length.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Made some progress the last few days. Still waiting for the fork tubes to get here. Banged out a seat pan and took it to an upholstery guy up the road. Fabbed a taillight and tag bracket. made a box for the electrics. Bobbed the fender too. Thoughts?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.