Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am freshening up My 71 Tiger. I have a new patent plate and the 3 rivets to replace the old. Do I just drill out the old drive screws all the way, or will they twist out? How are they installed? They are blind holes, correct? I do not need to remove the cover to install the plate, do I? I have done LOTS of drilling and riveting on Aircraft, but never worked with the drive screws, as Triumph calls them. A# drill size would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
DON'T DRILL....I usually just use a thin flat screwdriver and pry slowly under the old Patent plate...if you look closely at the new "screws" they pretty much just twist in as you tap them...somtimes you can get a bite on the head of them with pliers and twist them out....if you drill them you will need to attach it differently...

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DON'T DRILL....I usually just use a thin flat screwdriver and pry slowly under the old Patent plate...if you look closely at the new "screws" they pretty much just twist in as you tap them...somtimes you can get a bite on the head of them with pliers and twist them out....if you drill them you will need to attach it differently...
Thanks, Spanky , it worked like a charm! I was even able to save the old ones, just in case, I grabbed them with a small pair of side cutters. here is the bike i am cleaning up.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.