Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I’ve been getting some great information on this board for a while, probably not offering too much in return. The latest project I’ve been working on has been progressing for about 5 yrs. It has transformed into all sorts of configuration trials, torn down and built back up until I get it right. You could say that I really enjoy getting my hands on motorcycle parts and trying to put them together.
This is the 3rd Shovel I’ve set up in a rigid frame to get the one that fits. The previous 2 were done, ridden for a while, then I sold them to get on with the next project. And it goes around again....
Well on this one, I’m working toward achieving the style that fit me several years ago. The picture was of me and Gentle Ben in about 1986. We had fun and met some great people.
I hope to post in here my journey which might help others. Thanks for all the help to the ones on here who have supplied input and parts.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
On here,, only the needy need apply. Most on here, are suckers for a build of the old school type. Even Jaws, haha. Need more photos, and some of the side and quartering views. We are gluttons for photos. Even if it is your cat. but mostly the bike, or bikes, or many bikes. So, share and we will do what we do best. Comment.

Was it named for the BEAR, or just named that because it was GENTLE???? Or is your name Ben? Like the National Enquirer, we want to know.

Plus, there are many on here, that NEVER post or add anything, but it does not matter, they probably learn as much reading, as they would posting.

So, go do your thing, and we will just enjoy the process. I know I will.........

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The motor used to sit in a swing arm FX frame that I can’t seem to find any pictures of. The Paughco weld on was added and the down tubes were stretched. This on picture is with the chrome sliders and billet raked triple trees that I never had any intention using. Again, a lot of trial and error to get it right. It took about a year or so to finally get the OE side hack front end with proper brake.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was it named for the BEAR, or just named that because it was GENTLE???? Or is your name Ben?
It came with the bike when I bought it. Known to be reliable was the reason for having the name, 74" motor that did the job just fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure why pictures are coming in rotated like this, tried to fix, but doesn't seem to be affected when I fix it in the file. Whatever, I don't mess with this stuff enough and don't want to, really. Things are out of order, too, hope I don't get in trouble for that!
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

So the old front end I bought complete and went through everything. The bolt that retains the pivot on lower triple needs replacing. Gr 8 with cotter pin hole and castle nut is what's needed. The keepers pins are new.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel Hood
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire

Rim was rusty so I pulled the disc set up I had apart and re-laced with the rebuilt hub. Spins nice and I think will work out pretty good. Aside for some apparent use on the fork tubes, everything is ok. And original H-D stuff, which is what I wanted.
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle fork
Kitchen utensil Wood Tableware Crankset Hand tool

Forking by Frank did the tubes on these, just like my old bike. I guess the pivot caps were a different thread and they were the only place to get extended tubes.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Crankset Automotive tire

Truing in the forks and will spin balance when the tire is installed.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I'll guess that that fine bike was chopped circa 1973, and in the Midwest (that part's a pretty safe guess). If I'm right, it is totally of its time. I like it a lot. Not too pretty, just right.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Regardless of the spun photos, we all love a thread with photos. But, how did you lace that wheel on the ceiling??? haha

Love it that you are retaining the drum, and as many OEM parts as you can find. I know that we cater to the chopped bikes, but I love it when someone thinks enough of the OEM bikes to keep them at least close.

Me, on the other hand, I do not have the patience to do a photo thread. To many operations, and I appreciate those that do these.

4 stars for now, but when you are done, I certainly expect it to achieve the full 5 star rating.

:cool:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sandblasted frame and lower clamp parts, off to paint today. My buddy says it should be ready next weekend. Then the fun will continue as it goes back together. I’ll try to post more of that exercise as it progresses.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked up the paint yesterday, now on to assembly. Had some trouble with the sissy bar/license bracket getting the finish to work out. Most chrome shops are closed that do small stuff, so I had to order a new one from TT. I’m sure there’s a thread on this subject here, but I opted to start over. It should be an easy fab.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Picked up the paint yesterday, now on to assembly. Had some trouble with the sissy bar/license bracket getting the finish to work out. Most chrome shops are closed that do small stuff, so I had to order a new one from TT. I'm sure there's a thread on this subject here, but I opted to start over. It should be an easy fab.
Around here, almost all of them have closed, and probably due to new regulations. So, sometimes you have to take a dirt road, instead of the interstate. We all have been there. And, then, there is always Browns, where you pay with body parts. My last part that went there , cost me a arm. Now, I can't use my handlebars, I have to use a handlebar.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone have experience with using a 12v battery in a 6v oil bag compartment? I’ve got the old style horseshoe that only fits a 4 1/2 or so width battery. I have kicker only on this rig, so just need decent flow for tail, headlight, and ignition. I’ve used gel in the past, it I think they were larger width than what I have available now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Getting it together and wheeled off the rack. I’ll get the battery sorted now, thanks for input on that. The headlight is still in progress, so I won’t get the wiring totally completed until then.
Some other odds and ends. It should be ready this spring.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts