Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
myke said:
I am going to take my motor apart to polish the cases and check to make sure it was rebuilt correctly. Anything special tips or tricks i should do to it while its apart?

Any links would be great also.

Thanks in advance.
I think an important aspect to look for is when taking it apart. Did the previous owner use gasket maker with their gasket. Most people put too much on, it goops to the inside. A lot of brits have self-destructed from oil starvation because of this.

If you don't mind the expense go for a crank balance.

·
Registered
585 Posts
What kind of experience and tools do you have? Do you have a good shop manual? You'll need Whitworth wrenches and sockets or you'll bugger up the nut & bolts, you'll need a pinion gear puller, ring compressor, torque wrench, precission mesureing tools and a degree wheel is nice to have also. I'm Not trying to be an Ass here, But if you don't have the tools or knowledge, you'll do more harm than good. You could find out who built it? does he/she have a good rep? anyone else around have an engine rebuilt by that person?. You don't have to take it apart to polish the cases (granted it's easier) but I have friends who have done really nice polish jobs with the engine together and lots of patience.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The guy I got it from said he rebuilt the motor but every nut and bolt on it looks like it was tightened with vice grips. I plan to have the cases split and reassembled at a triumph shop.

I just was wondering if there are any updates or secret special stuff to do to it while it's apart.
________
Granny Cams

·
Registered
585 Posts
Unless your hotrodding it a good stock rebuild is the way to go. 1969 was a good year for the 650s and you'll be happy with it. All the messed up nut & bolt heads mean the guy didn't have the right tools and your right to worry. Good luck with it they're a lot of fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.