Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the sprokets are stock and if Im not mistaken they are 530 Chains am I correct? How many links should I go with? 120? Also someone told me I can go with a 520 on stock sprokets? That doesnt sound right does it? Also O-ring or non O-ring. Ive always used O-rings on my other bikes just wanted to make sure if its the same on the older bikes as well.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Non O-ring chain. The O-ring ones are wider and can, and will rub the cases, not to mention the cover. I run 530 chains on all mine, but I believe the 520 will work.

·
Registered
252 Posts
One thing to remember with all non-belt Harleys: there is NO cushioning of the drive, sprockets are bolted solidly to the trans output and wheel. Therefore, chains have a truly tough life. Lubricate often, and check/replace when needed, which will be more frequently than on other bikes.

Cosmo

P.S. This is also the reason to step up and pay for quality.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
530 and 520 indicate pitch, so you can not run a 530 pitch on 520 pitch sprockets and vice versa, the diferent pitch will chew up the sprocket/chain.........Roach.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Non O-ring chain. The O-ring ones are wider and can, and will rub the cases, not to mention the cover. I run 530 chains on all mine, but I believe the 520 will work.
Your list of bikes and projects still make me jeolous everytime I see them! :mad:

520 will work, and on some ironheads, i've heard, are better for clearance. 120 is stock length.
Thanks for the info.

I went from Diamond XDL 530 to a Tsubaki 530, both will do fine, as stated get the NON Oring chain and custom cut to fit your sprocket combo
Whats the difference between the two?

Thanks for the link!

One thing to remember with all non-belt Harleys: there is NO cushioning of the drive, sprockets are bolted solidly to the trans output and wheel. Therefore, chains have a truly tough life. Lubricate often, and check/replace when needed, which will be more frequently than on other bikes.

Cosmo

P.S. This is also the reason to step up and pay for quality.
With a chain tensioner this will help better the life of the chain and less stress correct?

520 will not fit stock XL sprockets.
530 and 520 indicate pitch, so you can not run a 530 pitch on 520 pitch sprockets and vice versa, the diferent pitch will chew up the sprocket/chain.........Roach.
mrmom9r and Destralo thanks for the heads up. I was thinking the same thing as on sports bikes if I go with a 520 I would have to get new sprockets all around. I just wasnt sure if that was the case as Ive heard yes and no's. Im sure I have a 530 setup so I may just go that route!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
That's not correct. In the numbers 520, 525, and 530, the pitch is the same. The 5 indicates the pitch is 5/8". The last two digits indicate the width between the plates. 520 is 1/4" wide, 525 is 5/16" wide, and the 530 is 3/8" wide. You can run a 530 pitch on 520 or 525 sprockets because they're narrower than the chain. I wouldn't recommend it but the pitch is the same across the board. You can't run a 525 or 520 chain on a 530 sprocket because it's too narrow.

Bob

·
Registered
689 Posts
I reccomend spending the money on a good chain or you will end up throwing good money after bad. I put tsubaki 530 non-oring chains on every sporty i have owned and after the inital break in ride, very rarely had to adjust them. I also used chain wax as a lubricant. I comes in an aerosol can and works really well. I put those chains through hell. dirt roads, holeshots, tons of miles, etc. and no problems.

·
Registered
689 Posts
also, take a good look at your sprockets. the front sprocket generally wears faster, and if the grooves for the chain are noticably out of shape, replace the sprockets as well. otherwise, your new chain will not last so long.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's not correct. In the numbers 520, 525, and 530, the pitch is the same. The 5 indicates the pitch is 5/8". The last two digits indicate the width between the plates. 520 is 1/4" wide, 525 is 5/16" wide, and the 530 is 3/8" wide. You can run a 530 pitch on 520 or 525 sprockets because they're narrower than the chain. I wouldn't recommend it but the pitch is the same across the board. You can't run a 525 or 520 chain on a 530 sprocket because it's too narrow.

Bob
Ok so technically it is possible to run a 530 on a 520 or 525 sprocket but its not really recommended!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I reccomend spending the money on a good chain or you will end up throwing good money after bad. I put tsubaki 530 non-oring chains on every sporty i have owned and after the inital break in ride, very rarely had to adjust them. I also used chain wax as a lubricant. I comes in an aerosol can and works really well. I put those chains through hell. dirt roads, holeshots, tons of miles, etc. and no problems.
Yea I see some really good deals on chains but what would you consider good? Any brand recommendations? Part#'s would be great!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also, take a good look at your sprockets. the front sprocket generally wears faster, and if the grooves for the chain are noticably out of shape, replace the sprockets as well. otherwise, your new chain will not last so long.
Thats a good point! I havent looked at it yet so Ill see what I find out later this week. What are good indications of bad sprockets and needing replacing? Rounded out? :confused:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ok so technically it is possible to run a 530 on a 520 or 525 sprocket but its not really recommended!
That's correct. The wider chain on a narrower sprocket is not utilizing the full load bearing width of the rollers and will wear faster. The narrower 520 and 525 chains are usually found on off road bikes where weight is a concern. The strength of the 530 chain could also be compromised slightly when run on narrower sprockets. When the ends of the pins are not as close as possible to the sprocket edges a bending moment is introduced into the pins. Stick with the stock 530 sprockets and chain.

Bob

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thats a good point! I havent looked at it yet so Ill see what I find out later this week. What are good indications of bad sprockets and needing replacing? Rounded out? :confused:
The front sprocket will be the most notaceable if it is worn. the rear may not look as bad but i reccomend replacing sprockets as a set as a general rule of thumb. the teeth on the sprocket should resemble perfect, symetrical, U's. You will notice one side of the U to have a groove or oblonged look to it. This means the sprocket is worn, and will no longer hold the chain correctly and cause it to wear prematurely.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Adjust the rear chain to the correct tension. Go to the midpoint in the chain wrap on the sprocket. Grab a link and pull it away from the sprocket. If you can pull it up half the depth of the tooth, the chain and/or sprocket is worn out.

Bob

·
Registered
252 Posts
Adjust the rear chain to the correct tension. Go to the midpoint in the chain wrap on the sprocket. Grab a link and pull it away from the sprocket. If you can pull it up half the depth of the tooth, the chain and/or sprocket is worn out.

Bob
Same here, but I look for air. See air under the chain, replace all three (both sprockets and the chain).

Cosmo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.