Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first bike build after doing some minor mod stuff over the last few years, i do however have a 15 year history of building cars. I ride a 1010 1200cc Iron Sporty daily but have wanted to build a Triumph for some time now so I'm pretty stoked to be finally doing it.

I started collecting parts about 4 months ago mainly from ebay USA because everything seems so expensive here. From separate vendors i got together a motor excluding the head, a head and rockers, '68 front frame half, front tls wheel and forks. I had these shipped to a freight forwarder in LA and had them joined with a bolt-on rear end, seat mounts, engine mounts and front and rear firestone tires from Factory Metal Works. These were eventually sea freighted over to Brisbane where I live and arrived the week before xmas. In the meantime i found a standard Triumph tank (ebay) and headlight (Rockett on JJ) and had them air freighted. I also ordered up a moon oil tank at the same time as ordering some car stuff anyway here are some pics.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then i cleaned some of the excess off the frame (still haven't finished this but i'm trying to break the grinding down into small bits to not piss the neighbors off)

And offered up the hard tail (4x2.5)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fast forward a few days to xmas day and i managed to get a couple of hours in. I altered the top mounts supplied with the Moon oil tank and tacked them into place with my mig. I'm having issues with the DC setting on my TIG so i will do the final welding when thats sorted. I also tacked in the seat spring mounts, threw the engine in and placed the tank on the frame to see how it looked.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked these up locally off a guy a couple of days ago, he has been working on Triumphs and Harley's for 30 years and may be helping me out with a few other bits and bobs. He bought these in the US years ago and never used them. For $425 I think i got a good deal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As you can see the primary cover had sustained some damage at some point so either way i was going to replace it. I'm loving the new(old) one although there is a minor internal clearance issue i have to address that i will need some advice on at a later date ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same as mine colour and everything?
Looks like it, mine's slammed with orange wheels though :)

Nice start to your build, if you can work in a shed like that I am guessing your not all that tall!

Cheers Dan.
I'm 6'3", my head just misses he floor joists but I regularly bang my head on one of the beams! It's the lowest part of the area under the house but it's a great space for my metal working area.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a really good start.
You know you have to polish that ribbed primary that's a nasty task...

Are the rockerboxes on backwards??
Yes i realize that it's going to be a ball ache. I plan on sanding the casting marks out of it then having it blasted with the cases and just polishing the ribs, same treatment on the head.

Errr yes, well spotted! :) They are just resting on the head which is just resting on the barrels.

Btw, i love your bike, awesome job!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah looking good,I'm about to start a build myself, have just shipped a bike back from the states, just arrived in Liverpool yesterday 1 Jan. are the forward shippers reasonable to use, if so could you give me the name of the shipper you used? and im looking forward to following your Biuld.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a bit of a nightmare with the forwarders i used, it took a long time to get my stuff actually shipped which wasn't a major issue because i wasn't in a rush but it started to irritate me in the end. They were moving at the time and i sort of understand the issues they were having. I'm not going to slam them by name on the net as thats not my style but I'm not going to recommend them either.

I will tell you this though it cost me $250 for 1 cubic/m to get the stuff to Australia and another $500 handling this end plus the duty which i was expecting but only because i really did my homework. When i lived in England i only ever imported a car so not sure what the deal is on parts etc... so make sure you check.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.