Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
friend of mine (who isnt on the internet) is having an issue with his 68 bonnie.
he says it will idle fine,but when you twist the throttle,it dies.

gonna try and help him out tomorrow,but it would be nice to go into it with some ideas from you guys.
anything i should check right off the bat?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Second that. An older bike i had of brand that shall not be mentioned was doing just that. I striped the carbys right down and cleaned/soaked all the parts in cleaner, drained the tank and checked for flakes ect, put it all back and Boom Time! diddnt have a problem after that.

not sure if it was blocked, or something not sitting right, but taking it all right back and knowing it was all right resolved the problem.

·
Registered
498 Posts
'68 and late '67 concentrics weren't good.They came fitted with 2-stroke needle,needle-jet and jet-holder.These 3 items should have been replaced by now,but the worst thing is if only one or two got changed.
The needle should have 2 scribed rings above the clip grooves.
The needle jet should MEASURE 0.106",and have a cross-drilled 0.035" hole.Check the 0.106" diameter with a number 36 drill.
The jet-holder should have a round,turned section below the hex.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
All this is assuming he's still running Amals.......
Better make sure of that first!

·
Registered
794 Posts
what ignition system (mag, points, electronic)?
battery or no battery?
timed right? never get carbs tuned if timing is not right....
vented gas cap?
plugged jets?
clogged fuel filters
bonnie ( assuming dual carbs) are the throttle cables opening/closing each carb equally?
both cyls firing?
what spark plugs is he running?....sounds crazy, but my bike sat for a month and i went to fire it and it only ran on one cyl...just for the heck of it i swapped the plug on the cyl not firing and it worked...just tried that cause it was a quick and easy experiment....spark plug i pulled was not fouled...wierd...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info guys.
gonna do ALL of this stuff mentioned and see what happens.
ill let you guys know what it was when im done.
thanks again.

·
Registered
398 Posts
i had a '70 bonneville that did that, got NEW carbs. ordered with standard size 190 jets...had issues from day 1.

took the carbs apart, had 250 jets!! just bogged it out every time i hit the gas hard.

could be something as simple as that...??

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had a '70 bonneville that did that, got NEW carbs. ordered with standard size 190 jets...had issues from day 1.

took the carbs apart, had 250 jets!! just bogged it out every time i hit the gas hard.

could be something as simple as that...??
thanks for that info as well.
headed over there now.
hopefully ill come back with good news.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Could be plugs. You didnt give any history , if it was running good before or you are trying to bring something back to life.. my bike idles great with fowled plugs and then you hit the throttle , when I was tuning it fowled them out and then I thought I was that far off until I put a new set in. Was checking everything else first.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could be plugs. You didnt give any history , if it was running good before or you are trying to bring something back to life.. my bike idles great with fowled plugs and then you hit the throttle , when I was tuning it fowled them out and then I thought I was that far off until I put a new set in. Was checking everything else first.
thats because i don't know any history with this bike.
went out there and he had an emergency and had to split.
looks like ill be doing it saturday.
ill get back to this thread saturday evening.
at least i got some good advice and things to look for from you doods.
ill put it to use this weekend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts