Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this bike and got it running. Ran fairly well for 2 or 3 miles then all of the sudden would just cut out. It would start missing and banging and popping and just totally lose power. Motor would eventally want to stall (not everytime but most of the time.) I would sit there for a few moments then try and start her back up. 1st or second kick and shes running again until the problem started again. So I get her back to the shop and realize the wiring is shit. So I completely rewire the bike using one of those simple wiring diagrams. Time to start her up again. Runs good and then out of nowhere it starts acting up again. Its deff some sort of electrical issue Im guessing. Could it be the Condensor, Coil maybe even the curcuit breaker? Seems like when something is heating up it starts to fail. The motor is a fresh rebuild. has a distributor a new battery bosch regulator and generator. Also my battery ended up being drained so I guess I am not charging. I polarized the genny after completing the wiring.

I think I am going to replace the condesor and coil tomorrow. and possibly my 30amp breaker. could it be the regulator not working?

any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Before you start changing parts out, make sure your battery is fully charged, start the bike, attach your volt meter to the battery and rev it up a bit. It should read somewhere above 12.5 and climb as you rev it. Hopefully not over 14.5 and not lower than 12.5. If it's charging, it's obviously something else.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Yeah you need a fully charged Bat to polerize it, and I stay away from the boche Vultregs as the aftermarket ones are not wirerd corectly inside......Roach.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got in from workin on the bike. Switched out the coil, condesor, and the 30 amp breaker and completely charged the battery. Checked the voltage and had 13.2. I started her up and took it down the road. It was running pretty good so I just stayed on. I rode over my brothers which is about 6 to 8 miles and had no problems at all. Thought it was licked. Turned around and road home. Did the same shit its been doing 2 times to me on my ride back. Got home and checked voltage and it was 12.4. Both voltage readings were while the bike was shut down. ( I rode to my brothers to see if he was home to have another set of hands to check voltage while reving but he wasnt). The only things I havent fucked with is the generator or the regulator. I feel whenever it wants to start acting up I can hear some sort of clunking noise in the generator but not sure. Also after I checked the spark while still holding the plug and wire in 1 hand I used the other hand to turn the key off. I felt a shock. Not really sure why that would happen but I would think that its not normal.

I wanted to run a mag but I dont have the extra money at the moment for it. Maybe this winter.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Shutting off with the switch is the same as the points closing, hence the spark. You need to check your charging system. Points/coil ign. needs a strong battery. When you get the money for a mag, let me know, I have three of them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
checked points they were good
installed a new condensor
installed a coil that came out of a running bike
battery is new and fully charged

I just dont understand how it runs fine then all of the sudden pulls this shit and pretty much shuts down. Sit on the side of the road a few seconds and she starts on 1 kick and runs good again for a couple miles and then acts up again and again. I figure something in the circuit is heating up and then showing its flaws but cant pin point it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
CHARGING SYSTEM! You are running a total loss elec. system now. When the batt. gets low enough, the coil stops sparking. Rest it for few minutes and it recovers enough to work for a brief while.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sounds like the windings in the generator are getting hot and failing. Runs good on battery power until it gets low. Let the battery recover and it is ready to go again for a little while. A similar thing has happened to me when the generator was not polarized and I was only on battery power. I had my generator tested at a repair shop that worked on airplane generators. He knew his stuff. I also ditched the mechanical reg. along time ago.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So when I test the voltage while running and reving the bike I should see an increase in voltage. If it doesnt increase then the generator is bad. If it increases to much then is it the regulator not working?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not exactly. The voltage must go up from not running for sure. If it doesn't it could be either the reg or the genny. If it's not charging, you gotta check for gen output by hooking up an ammeter and then "full fielding"it. Basically you momentarily ground the field pole and it should give you full output (near 10 amps). You really should buy a factory manual. it makes all of this way clearer than I can, and it's always right there showing the way....

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
If you hear a clunking from the genny you need to pull it now and cheack it out, having you cases repaird due to the genny locking up is no fun......Roach.

And ditch the Boche and get a CycleElectrick volt reg....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually have a manual and was going to do the amp test today but I dont have an ampmeter and I tried a few places but couldnt find one. I tested the voltage at the battery. My voltmeter was all over the place while reving it was really hard to tell what numbers that I had for sure but it looked like there was some 13 15 and 16s in there. pretty sure they all had a negative sign in front of them. not sure what the negative means. I also tried disconnecting both wires from the genny to see what would happen. about 5 miles down the road it acted up again.

I appreciate everyones input on here and I will continue to post until I find and solve the problem...maybe it will be useful for someone else down the road.

Anyone know where to get and ampmeter?

·
Registered
431 Posts
The negative means that you had the leads reversed. If you got 13s, 15s and 16s out of it, then somethings coming out the gen. I'd still do the amp test, but it's looking like you mighta got a goofy reg like stated earlier.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The regulators(stock style, manual type) that the aftermarket people sell these days are crap on their best day. Hit or miss, but mostly miss. When i run into this problem, i get one of the electronic, three wire regulators, the ones for generators. Simple to install, and almost foolproof, unless you hit it with a hammer. My 03(to cover inflation)

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
You still have not pulled the generator out of the bike to inspect it, do that and then see if it will motor over by putting the neg of the bat to the body and the pos from the bat to the A post on the gen, if it turns over like a motor then it is ok, if it does not then something is wrong with it, that is the first thing you need to do, second, get a Cycle Electrick regulator, stop fucking with the Boche!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.