Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 66XL. It has a distributor, boshe regulator and a full size battery. I am going to rewire the whole bike due to a few issues that I have already came accrossed. My question is can a do away with the battery and run a capicator with the boshe regulator and distubutor? If so what brand should I go with? Also I need a new coil. Which one should I buy with my current setup. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
I dont think the capacitor will work w/o a battery, for a distributor anyway.
For a mag the capacitor helps for the horn.
So no you can't do away w/ batt and run a distributor.
I assume its a kick xlch, if you want to be rid of the batt?

·
Registered
380 Posts
whats a horn?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea its a kick only xlch. no horn just head and taillight. Is it true that if you run a mag that there is no longer a need for a coil? the spark plugg wires run straight to the mag? which system tends to be better? magneto and capicitor. or distributor coil and battery? also what is the job of the capicitor. I was under the impression that it acted as a mini battery about the size of a D cell that helped send a jolt of electricity to the pluggs for the initial start up.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I think all 66 Sportsters were kick only. CH had magneto ignition and was a totally separate independent system from the bike's wiring harness. Magneto, 2 plug wires, 2 plugs. Totally self contained and the coil is in the magneto. The generator and voltage regulator plus a small capacitor to keep the lights from flickering at idle.

The capacitor will not allow you to run a circuit breaker ignition system without a battery.

I love the magneto system. It's simple and if you ever rip your wires out of you wiring harness, you'll still get home because the mag makes it's own spark. No dead batteries, no bullshit just a flickering headlight at idle that goes away when you blip the throttle.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Theres a ton of Magneto threads on here that explain all this but.......

You CAN run points with no battery, but everything has to be dead spot on, or you will kill yourself kicking the thing.

The magneto has a coil inside it (thats what the spark plug wires plug into) and it creates it's own power via the magnets, so you need no battery, but a battery eliminator helps regulate the flicker of the lights at low idle.

As far as purchase tips, I don't know, personal preference I guess, as long as everything is compatible with each other

Sixball

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Theres a ton of Magneto threads on here that explain all this but.......

You CAN run points with no battery, but everything has to be dead spot on, or you will kill yourself kicking the thing.

The magneto has a coil inside it (thats what the spark plug wires plug into) and it creates it's own power via the magnets, so you need no battery, but a battery eliminator helps regulate the flicker of the lights at low idle.

As far as purchase tips, I don't know, personal preference I guess, as long as everything is compatible with each other

Sixball
I've personally seen only 1 bike with a capacitor and circuit breaker ignition that worked. I've seen several people try and I've read ads and articles that say it works well but I've never known anyone but the guy with that 1 bike that had it work out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok well then thats the route I will take. I will buy a mag and a capacitor and try and run my bosch regulator and do away with all of the other b.s.

I have also heard that the mags are harder to start when the bike is hot. any truth in that rumor?

·
Registered
187 Posts
A man could come up with a bunch of pluses and minuses for either set-up. I think cost is one of the bigger ones against mags, it can cost a bit up front, but think, you won't need to buy a battery any more at a hundred bucks every few or more years. It has become part of the trend over last 'few' years. I did it for the simplicity of it, I like the engine 'creating' its own spark. SIMPLE, no bs, easier to trouble shoot. The main thing, I guess, do plenty of research (you can learn a lot here)... I know I did.
About the hot mag/bike being hard to start... Never heard that one before.

·
Registered
272 Posts
ok well then thats the route I will take. I will buy a mag and a capacitor and try and run my bosch regulator and do away with all of the other b.s.

I have also heard that the mags are harder to start when the bike is hot. any truth in that rumor?
You won't need the capacitor, it may help to keep the lights from flickering as much, but mostly used to have some power stored for the horn. Either way its not a necessity.

If properly tuned the mag will start easier when warm.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Whats up with the horn ? I've never run one so I guess I'm in the dark there as far as the capictor helping with it.

I used to run caps, then one failed on me. I pulled into a gas station, un hooked it and wired everything direct. My lights came on, and I went on down the road. The lights would dim and flicker abit a idle, but nice and bright going down the road, so I never bought another one, and now I wire everything up the same and have never had a problem. But I don't run any horns :)

As far as a mag being hard to start hot, thats not the magneto's fault. Mags get blamed for all kinds of things, but as with other ignitions, you need to have your bike tuned corectly (timming, carb, pushrods etc..) for an easy starting bike, hot or cold

Sixball

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 68ch with a mag and would highly recommend it. If properly set up it should be 2 kicks to prime and one to fire cold and one kick when hot. As far as the capacitor, try a battery eliminator, White Bros. sells them. it'll keep the head light from flickering (if it flickers to much it'll burn out). The bosch reg is what I have also and it works fine.

Good luck with it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts