Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, Im helping my bro in law get a 66 Triumph Tiger Cub back on the road. We were kicking the heck out of it yesterday ( think the carb needs a cleaning) and I noticed that we had a gassy air leak out the threaded spark plug hole in the head. Seems like the threads are buggered up but the spark plug still threads in place nicely. Definitely some air leakage. Any one know a good shop that can fix this? I wouldn't trust any yokels in my town with it... Helicoil it? Or is this a new head kind of issue? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Heli coil works but the tang at the bottom can fall in when its all together

we have used time cert 2 different types are available

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
This may sound like a silly quesion? but are you 100% sure it's not coming from head gasket being blown/ loose head bolts? If the plug is sealing in to the head nicely I don't see how it can leak heavily?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Guys I trust forcefully recommend TimeSerts over Helicoils. For what that's worth and/or if it comes to that. Goldy's suggestion that the gasket has died of old age seems likely.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uggh, I guess I jumped the gun on the question i posted. The threads looked fine on the plug, it was brand spankin new, but I guess you get some turds from the factory every now and again because a different new plug worked, no leaks. Guess that panic button was too handy and, yeah, I pressed it... Thanks for the advice, Ill file it away for the future

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
A fresh plug cured it? Damn. That is deeply troubling; I anticipate disaster.

But really: I'm glad that's all it took. Did you look at the gasket on the plug you replaced? Does it seem to have been mashed or otherwise deformed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts