Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at an indie shop recently to talk to the shop owner about doing some motor work to my ironhead. Talk
ing about former bikes our convo was overheard by a guy who was on his way out the door. He said he heard me mention a triumph and asked if i like them. He gave me the number of a guy that he recently did some carpentry work for that had an old triumph in pieces. I made the call to George and he told me how he bought the bike in 70. He rode it until the late 80s when it started to smoke. He decided it was time for a top end rebuild and pulled it apart. Detailing each move with a photograph and some notes. Each part was put into its own envelope and labeled. All the frame bolts were put in the holes they were removed from. Then i guess he lost interest. The bike was pushed to the side and he bought a newer bike. We talked numbers for a while and a deal was struck. The boxes were loaded in the truck and now i have a numbers matching 66 Bonnie complete with the original owners handbook and the tool roll that should have been lost in the 80s.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im planning on a full teardown. The frame isnt really together. I put parts together for a picture. I want this thing stock. Maybe a set of clubman bars. Im going to go 10 over on the pistons to clean the cylinder. The bike has 17k original miles. The original color was a white tank with red stripes. Im looking for a tank with good original paint or ill redo this one. Its too stock for me to chop up.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Nice man, '66 Bonnie is actually my favorite looking triumph. I love the stock paint color combo with the lighter colored seat and gray grips. Definitely keep it a stocker.

·
Registered
732 Posts
sounds like you have a good plan going on. . . . . ..

have fun and post lots of pics on the way. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the kind words. Ive been scowering the internet looking for a few things. Im going to swap out the original wiring harness for a new one. Im not getting rid of the points. I have a brand new points plate. Im going to rebuild the monoblocks. All new cables brakes bars levers and a headlight. Unless i rechrome the one i have. I have a few pics of that perfect 66 pictured above that i will be using for reference. I have to say this bike is the most together project ive started. I am really excited. Anybody know if the repop tanks for sale these days are worth the ching? Im not going for a concours resto. But i want it to be close.

·
Registered
265 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts