Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 1965 XLCH Ironhead from a local guy who's brother owned this bike in California, it had been in his garage for 3 years not started.... we went over and picked it up for 1500 bucks....

I'm going to try my hand at making this my own over the winter. (my first Harley)

I have learned so much from all you folks so here we go!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Of course, you will get every comment you can think of, but mine is this. Sweet ride. I would ride it until it needed a rebuild, and then make it a stock sportster. But like I said, you will get every degree of builders comments. Some of us like to go wacko custom, and some of us like to go with stock. But the bottom line is this. It is yours. Build it like you want. Just remember that these old bikes are limited, and every time you "chop" one, there is one less to keep historically stock. Anyway, great buy, and hope you enjoy it a long time.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Of course, you will get every comment you can think of, but mine is this. Sweet ride. I would ride it until it needed a rebuild, and then make it a stock sportster. But like I said, you will get every degree of builders comments. Some of us like to go wacko custom, and some of us like to go with stock. But the bottom line is this. It is yours. Build it like you want. Just remember that these old bikes are limited, and every time you "chop" one, there is one less to keep historically stock. Anyway, great buy, and hope you enjoy it a long time.
So true.....If you do anything, never get rid of the stock parts. On my 65, I did cut the ears off the frame that held the fender struts. I kept the pieces in case I ever want to repair that area. Unfortunately when I got mine, the original sheet metal, and handlebars, and headlight visor were all missing, including the hard to find rear fender. I see you are getting a penner hardtail. You don't need to cut the ears off to install it, but to me it looks cleaner that way. Just be sure to save the swingarm, etc, etc, etc. GREAT find!!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
So true.....If you do anything, never get rid of the stock parts. On my 65, I did cut the ears off the frame that held the fender struts. I kept the pieces in case I ever want to repair that area. Unfortunately when I got mine, the original sheet metal, and handlebars, and headlight visor were all missing, including the hard to find rear fender. I see you are getting a penner hardtail. You don't need to cut the ears off to install it, but to me it looks cleaner that way. Just be sure to save the swingarm, etc, etc, etc. GREAT find!!!
i'll say the same thing...
i've got a very cut up '67 XLH. i did cut the frame... and did keep all the stock pieces in case i wanted to go back to stock.

As much as I love choppers or whatever... there's something about a stock bike that I love just as much.

VERY nice score, btw. i've not seen an early sporty that was even close to complete go that cheaply in this part of the country in years.
Enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Quote from dhallilama:
VERY nice score, btw. i've not seen an early sporty that was even close to complete go that cheaply in this part of the country in years.

I have bought a few down here, for 12 to 15 hundred, running and pretty stock. Usually get the baskets for a thousand to 12 hundred, if almost all the stuff is there. Although it is rare to find one that is almost bone stock, I do pick up a few that are close. I rarely pass up a chance at any pre 71 sportsters, since they are my favorite XL size. It is usually the restored, or bone stock ones that ask for the money, not to mention a 57,8, or 9, in stockish shape. And then, every now and then, you will see a raked 900 cc sportster chopper, with disc brakes, peanut tank and apes, with a ad header that says,,,,stock big twin sportster chopper, all original, 10,000. I leave then for the smart buyers on Fleabay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No disrespect to the bike or the people who love these bikes, but... I am going to play around with it a little bit, I am going to try my hand at some fabrication. that's why I got into this sporty, to do a custom bike that I can call my own...I hope you guys will approve... I love the stock bikes, and the more I learn the more I respect its original state... but I feel, I also have this, for that...

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I don't think that there is one member on here, who would go as far to presume that they could tell you what to do. But you have to have slightly thick skin, when you post your thread on here. Some are highly critical, but only to explain a theory or idea. Some will never post, even though they could be the next superbuilder. Some will act the purist, and some will say chop it up and ride it hard. You have the stock lovers, the horsepower lovers, the chopper lovers, and I could go on and on, way longer than anyone want to follow. But If you post your build, you will get a lot of opinions. But I think everybody on here will agree, that it is YOUR bike, and you can do anything you want, even turn it into a Norton. We welcome you to post anything within the rules, but just remember this. We are a diverse group, and we all have a opinion. This is all said in brotherhood, no malice at all. We love everybody that comes here, we all have a common thought......Old Bikes. Now, go get started, and post some photos, when you make progress.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.