Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have always picked up good info from this site So its time to join as I have a problem thats got this old man stumped

Seen this post from years ago I have same problem Great oil psi when cold40# Drops to nothing when hot Put a new cast iron pump in Same damn thing! Running straight 50W
Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
What kind of gauge are you using to read the pressure? Most oil pressure gauges don't really read accurately at lower pressures. Good pressure on cold start up shows that the pump is working, which is really all that matters. Old H-Ds really don't have much oil pressure once warmed up, since the lower end bearings are all rollers which demand good flow but don't really need pressure to work, unlike plain or babbit bearings. As long as you're getting constant steady oil flow through the engine and returning to the tank, and nothing is making weird noises or seizing up, you should be good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response I'm using a good ol Stewart Warner gauge I know at idle you're only going to see a couple of pounds when hot but it's still unnerving to see the oil light come on and only 10-12 #s when I throttle up I have flow because I crack the oil passage screw in the cam cover from the top oiler lines and theres flow Just wondering if anybody knew of a way to bump it up Thanks again

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It's all about flow not pressure with big twins. Not like a car.. My knuck runs at zero psi when fully warm.. but has really good flow.

7000 miles in and still running like a watch!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Add an oil cooler if you want to raise the oil pressure.
In summer I would run 60w and a cooler. (but I beat on mine)
If you read the front of the manual they say in temps over 80° you should have 60w in it. (even for a twin cam)
So you suffer when its cold or run 50w and a cooler....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts