Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting my '63 Pan/Shovel running, it jumps out of neutral and into gear. Not fun with a foot clutch. Put it up on blocks and it won't stay in neutral. It has a 1 1/2 inch belt primary and the clutch seems to be adjusted and working correctly. What, besides bent shift fork(s), could this be caused by? The inner primary cover (tin) is pretty much touching the shifter and the forward carrier spring seems weak (to return shifter to center). I'd like to ride it before the snow flies to see what changes I going to make this Winter but I think it's a bad idea to ride it like it is- Yeah, you bet I'm intimidated, you should hear this thing run!:eek:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Have you aligned/timed the carrier yet? At a minimum, I'd pull the shifter cover and check the spring condition (check for broken springs). But it's pretty likely that either the carrier's not aligned, the shifter forks aren't aligned, or (worse case) the shift forks are bent. But to be honest, I've NEVER seen bent shift forks myself, so I'd bet it's one of the first two...

-Kuda
'49 panchop

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I had a feeling about this forum! Knowledge is in full bloom here. I did research my situation but didn't find something that directly related to my dilemna.
-Kuda, I'll research carrier alignment.
-Loydo50, looks like a 5 dollar foot long at best
-S.A.D, I think it's FL but what's an easy way to tell the difference? I just sat down and started shifting it and rolling it to see if I could progress through to 3rd and 4th and the neutral I've found seems more positive (it actually clicked into neutral and now it clicks into a gear fore and aft- i'm assuming that's 1st and 2nd respectively). too late to start this block bomb tonight but I'm sure it'll be in my dreams til the morning when I fire her up again (on blocks of course. I don't want a repeat of it spinning the wheel at 2500 rpm - thankfully it had sumped do to sitting for a year and the resulting oil-slick and my buddy grabbing the sissy bar til it stalled out, while I was off the perch trying to get it to settle back to idle, nearly launched it into my furnace) and check to see if this was the problem all along.
-Woodrow, the nut that looks to be about an 11/16ths on the right front of the ratchet top cover? I'll research that as well.
You guys are all on it, Thank you so much for taking the time to read-think-respond to my post- I've much to learn but it truly is a fascinating archaic machine I will spend years trying to figure out...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out I had the shift pattern backwards. It's one back, three forward (I believe that makes it an FL). The false neutral that I was "finding" somewhere between 3rd and 4th was why it was popping into gear so easily. Thanks for all the advice, it lead me to several hours of research on the four speed, clutch and linkage threads. Now if I can just get it to start easier, I'd actually get to ride it this summer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Turns out I had the shift pattern backwards. It's one back, three forward (I believe that makes it an FL). The false neutral that I was "finding" somewhere between 3rd and 4th was why it was popping into gear so easily. Thanks for all the advice, it lead me to several hours of research on the four speed, clutch and linkage threads. Now if I can just get it to start easier, I'd actually get to ride it this summer.
Do I win a prize??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts