Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 573 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did my first build on this '62 Pan in '68, it's had a couple rebuilds since, but has stayed essentially this way until now:

The frame is the original '62 frame, with my own homebrew hardtail welded on, didn't want to cut the neck, so left it stock, put on 18" over tubes on it, and dropped the back end down as low as I could and still be streetable, it handles fine and I've put many, many miles on this rig.

But I have had an old, original Denver's frame, in cherry unused condition, stashed away for a long time, can't remember, 20-30 years, stretched about 4" and with a 45 deg rake. I've been intending to move the hardware over from the present frame to the "new" frame for years now, and am finally getting to it.

Recently ran across an "old style" extended original HD springer, done right with the A-bone radius rods. Looks like about a 14" over setup. Put it on the frame and it just looks right, so I will be proceeding to transfer everything over and set it up with the "new" frame.

I'm also working on a '55 chevy, gasser style, and the bike is in the shop next to the gasser project, so I can put in time on both......

Already have had to do some small mods for the rear brake mount, clearances were needed, I'll take some pix and post 'em....

Here's the link to another thread here about this bike and it's "sister" '59 pan.
Aloha,
2Loose Willy

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Got the rear brake setup and the wheel mounted, needed some work, still some to do, here's a couple of pix:

Am workin' on the bike and the '55 gasser in my buddy's shop, Poncho Willie, he's got some cool projects going on too, we help each other out on these projects......

OK, set up a web page to keep track of this project:
LINK to 2Loose '62 Rebuild
Aloha,
2Loose Willy

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, there's never enough time, plus I have 4 kids grown with their own families, that all takes time too, time I don't wanna miss out on! Sometimes I really want to just go "hide out" in the shop and work on the bike and car projects, and the wife says, "Let's go over to (fill in the blank)'s house for awhile....."

Whatcha gonna do? Sure don't want a domestic battle goin' on, so ya just miss out on some more time getting the (pick the ride! ) back on the road!

I had a great life up to now, am keepin' ahead of the bills, have stashed away over the years most of the parts I think I needed for my projects, and really enjoy the wrenchin' on my own projects, very cool!
Aloha,
Willy

·
Registered
726 Posts
Bike looks awesome the way you "had" it and will look great with the new frame, I really think raked frames look slick.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It could also be a Denver's frame you got there...
Yeah, it could be, I was figuring either a Denver's or a Paughco, it's at least 20 years old, maybe as old as 30. Just don't remember anymore where I got it and how long ago, but it's been in the back of the storage shed for a long time!:D

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Yeah, it could be, I was figuring either a Denver's or a Paughco, it's at least 20 years old, maybe as old as 30. Just don't remember anymore where I got it and how long ago, but it's been in the back of the storage shed for a long time!:D
I'm pretty sure actually that it is a Denver's...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did chuck the rear brake spindle in a lathe yesterday and shortened it 0.2", and added 0.2" more thread, cleaned up all the parts and painted 'em, when it's back together will post pix. Did add a pic of the lathe work on the build website (link below).
Willy

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After the lathe work on the rear brake mounting spindle, everything fitted up perfectly.....

Now I have to drill, tap and relocate the hydraulic fitting on the wheel cylinder so it will clear the top frame tube on that side...
Always something !!!
Aloha,
Willy

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Found the right fittings I needed for that rear brake cylinder, got it drilled, plugged the original hole, now I have full axle/chain adjustment range back there!

Now I gotta work on getting that front end setup!
Aloha,
Willy

1 - 20 of 573 Posts