Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an ad for a 61 xlh on CL a couple days ago, and it stated the owner was also interested in trades. Called him up and offered up my 85 c10 shortbed, exchanged pictures an info, and a deal was struck. I am going to do the exchange early saturday morning as i have to work tomorrow, but here are the pics he sent me. Story is the bike has a new topend, but needs rocker box gaskets, has new primary chain, and needs to be rewired. I plan on stripping it down to the crank pin and going through everything myself, just to be sure. I'll update when i pick it up and as i make progress here and there.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I just hope everything goes smoothly with the deal. When I am finished with it, you won't even recognize it as the same bike. I've been working on a girder for the past few weeks, making my own, and want to have everything molded, stock rake or less, fab my own rear frame section, contemplating a gooseneck single downtube front section, etc... We will just have to wait and see where my imagination takes me. I want to combine all of the traits that I like best from each of the chopper era's. :confused:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Looks good the way it is. I say, wire it, check the compression and go for a ride. Then, when something major starts to give you problems, tear her down. That will give you time to find the parts and do your design work. But then, you do have that sweet shovel to ride until you get the XLH done.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
picked the bike up this morning. The guy gave me boxes of extra parts too. I have not had a chance to even go through everything yet, but all the parts to put this bike together are there, plus three extra wheels, handlebars, oil tanks, elctrick start kit for a later ironhead, pegs, three seats including a brand new Corbin and what looks like a very good shape vintage corbin, and a bunch of other stuff innew boxes i still need to go through. I'll post up the pics when i finish up a customer's bike and have some more room in the garage to lay it all out. :D

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Sounds like you really got shafted on that one. haha. Now, all you need is another bike, missing all the extra parts you got with this one, and you will have another project. You will love this one, for those short trips.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I finally had a couple hours to work on my own bike for a change, so i got busy on the 61 today. I pulled the motor, took the cam and sprocket covers off, and started playing with ideas on how i want the bike too look. I have made up my mind it will be a skinny bike, stock rake/stretch, custom upswept exhaust, and a cool twisted sissy. I plan on fabbing all of my own parts, as well as some custom mids, because the stock mid mounts werehacked off the frame beforei got it. The PO started polishing many of the parts, and did an awsome job, so i will keep with it and make this a show quality bike. I don't care how long it takes me, but this will be done to the highest standards, and will have a fully molded frame. Later this week i will tear down the motor. I plan on rebuilding it from the crank pin up, and the trans too. It has a fresh top end, valves, guides, springs etc, that have never been fired, but i prefer to go through things myself so there are no suprises down the road. anyhow, here's a couple pics of how it sits now.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Yes, Please, lol. I am all about saving the enviroment and recycling materials. :D
Great.....as soon as I make a box for it (out of grass clippings) I'll ride my bicycle over to your place and drop it off. Give me your address and I'll plug it into my gps (sextant).

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay guys, I finally have another update. I have been super busy with working on other people's bikes lately, so the sporty has been neglected. I have the cases ready to be split, but found some suprises tonight when I pulled the trans. The cases need some welding, and some one has already done some welding in the past. This bike has suffered a tranny blowout at one time...... The trans was full of aluminum shavings, and the sprocket nut was only finger tight. These are all reasons why I prefer to tear down these old motors to have a look before I trust my life riding on it.

welded up section of case.

this whole rear section of the primary has been welded back together. Looks like some type of case sealer over the welded areas?

looks like the gears were grinding on the cases, which would be where all the aluminum shavings were from.....

almost every ironhead has a cracked primary cover mount hole. There is also a crack where this area meets the main case that I will need to weld. look closely.

Do most of you guys remove this valve and install a pipe plug?

It is a good thing I have been practicing up my aluminum tig skills in the past couple of weeks. It looks like they will come in handy on whipping this motor back into shape. lol. Hopefully I will have the cases split later this week, if I can find the time.......

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
A sportster with a broken trans case, now that is new(NOT). Probably the same with most sportsters. I would leave the transfer valve, but that is my opinion. Those rockers are from a later model, but who cares at this point? Keep the photos coming and let us know what else you find. It may come in handy for future builds on here.

·
Registered
381 Posts
not trying to hijack the thread, so forgive me, but is there any advantage to using later model rocker boxes on the earlier ironheads? I have seen it done alot. I just didn't know if it was purely for looks or if there was an actual advantage

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Same rockers. Just the year difference. Started using the newer ones in 71 or 72. 900's had the smooth top, 1000's had the dip. But they are the same except the rocker shafts and rh nuts. But they interchange with no alterations. Some people run them, to make it look newer, some run them because that is what they have.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.