Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Pulled this frame out of a 25+ year slumber in a commercial building’s basement this past august.
I had previously bought a Sam Radoff BSA frame from the gentleman who had owned and operated a longtime British bike parts business in Michigan and we worked a deal on this one.
It was coated in a top layer of brown paint/ rattle can primer and at least 2 coats of professional automotive primer.
Wasn’t sure it was salvageable but I saw specs of paint in little chipped areas and decided to try.
Bike took 60 hours to wet sand. I started with 220-600 to cut through the bulk but as soon as I started seeing any transparency I switched to 800-1000 wet sand. By the time I was hitting any paint I was at 1500-2k. I found that green 3M pads were amazing at pulling off the last bits without too much damage. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy!
I sourced a t140 engine off Craigslist for dirt cheap too that should drop right in after some going through.
I’m hoping to have a roller going here as soon as I can clear it.
Thanks for looking

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your persistence has certainly paid big dividends. Great job.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Very well done. Before clear coating you can fill in Small chips with model kit paint. It comes in all colors.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I kinda hope that it's as finished as it's going to get. Looks great just like that. Better (in my important opinion) than if it were to get glossified again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
quite a labour of love and no csignificant cracks in the moulding, could have been a complete horror story underneath brown paint ?, the results a credit to ya', can't wait to see the rebuild.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm with Ratso, it's a survivor. It needed a lot of CPR to get to this point. Like us, show of your scars, they are part of your story.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
great job, thats a lot of faith to put into the unknown condition of the paint under there

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Give that man a Kewpie Doll !!! thats amazing how you have saved that paint job, keep up the good work fella, & have a great Christmas everyone..

·
4,030 Posts
Chopper archaeology.

Excellent work.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've been helping a good friend restore an old Ray Prince chopper that was painted by Yosemete Sam...How these works of art get left to turn into rusty junk is a complete mystery to me...anyhow, the body work has been completed and once the base coat paint is applied, I'm going to be tasked with the artwork and pin striping...I'll be trying to do the artwork in a similar style...God help me.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
You better stock up on masking tape and paper Goldy......

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Damn!!! very well done, your patience paid off on saving that paint!!
what a task you had there but oh boy, what a result!! worth every minute you spent saving it

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
What a great start for a build thread.... well done and how rewarding in the end of the 60hr laborious task.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts