Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought myself a shovelhead basket case last night. Its a 82 4 speed frame matching numbers w cases. Basically complete except trans n front end. Anyways thought i had a lead on another shovel basket tgat has thd transmission and front end no motor looks like its going to fall through. So I'm looking for a trans now. At the shop i work at we have half a dozen trashed five speed units that i can help myself to. Was thinking about a six speed gear set in the 5 speed case. I figured i need a trans plate to mate it up. Evidently i have to clearance the trans for the swingarm and figude out the oil tank. Bike did not come w oil, tank so its not a big deal. One area I'm cloudy on is the primary situation. Trying to figure out what parts to.scrounge around for. Bike has a primary chain conversion already. Has anyone done the swap before. Im going to do more research over the next few days but i feel that advice from many on this board is way more accurate than Googling random sites.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am running a 6 in a sputhe 5spd case with primo rivera belt drive on my knuck..also have kick and e start set up for it as well...took me a bit to get it al dialed in,but what I would say to you to save yourself the time and effort I went through at the time,is to run a softail case 5spd if you've got one there at the shop..there is a trans plate made I am pretty sure to make that case happen in your 4 spd frame and there is a ton of aftermarket pieces out there that can be adapted to work with what your doing as well...keep us posted..

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a shovel, in a softail frame, with a softail style 6 speed transmission. I used the 91 and later chain primary and clutch on mine with belt final drive. The reason I went this direction is in case something would happen with the tranny or primary, parts could be easier to get for that instead of an older shovel, and I could also run the newer starter. I have had good luck with mine. I would have preferred to run a belt in the primary but I used what what I had. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Softail tranny in a 4-speed frame. Its a little diff than a hard tail.
You need to cut a notch in the case -for swingarm clearence ( half round), the if your not running an open belt-you need softail primary, and starter and clutch. then you have to trim off the back mount area of the inner primary( last 2-bolt hole boss) then bolt up on 5 speed plate. Greg

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure one of the cases is a softail. I'm pretty sure there is a half dozen on shelf. Shop owner just told me our cost on a six speed gear set which is similar to cost of a used four speed trans. Slowly formulating a plan. Going to dig through cases after work. Ill order trans plate on monday.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'm pretty sure one of the cases is a softail. I'm pretty sure there is a half dozen on shelf. Shop owner just told me our cost on a six speed gear set which is similar to cost of a used four speed trans. Slowly formulating a plan. Going to dig through cases after work. Ill order trans plate on monday.
I'd save my money and go with a 5 speed. I put a Jims 6 speed in my Fl (80 cu. in.), and its a rare instance when you can Pull 6th gear. Which is an overdrive. Might pull it and put it behind my Stroker, to keep the revs. down. It does shift smooth as silk, with the back cut gears.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grabbed a case off the shelf that had a bad gear set in it. Found a softail inner n outer primary laying around also. Going to order a gearset and trans plate Monday. Need to look around for a starter and clutch now. Also fitted up case and inner primary to see what needs to b machined off. I'm not worried about being able to pull sixth. Cant see buying a new gearset and not getting six speeds. I dont have to use sixth if i cant. Motor has s&s heads and might b over bored also. If i cant pull it i will regear the final drive. I'm going w a chain final so sprocket changes wont be to bad

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a Softail tranny in a 4-speed frame. Its a little diff than a hard tail.
You need to cut a notch in the case -for swingarm clearence ( half round), the if your not running an open belt-you need softail primary, and starter and clutch. then you have to trim off the back mount area of the inner primary( last 2-bolt hole boss) then bolt up on 5 speed plate. Greg
alternatively use a shovel inner primary and machine it out for the inner bearing, cut the ears back on the rear of the trans to clear the frame and drill whats left of the ears to match the rear bolt holes on the shovel primaries - you will also need to make up some spacers to space the primary and gearbox apart

it all fits in without cutting the frame, oil tank or anything else but clearance is down to mm in places and access to some of the gearbox mounting nuts is interesting

·
Registered
815 Posts
if you got the $ i would go with a baker derect drive 6 speed gear set thataway 6th gear will be 1.1 final instead of the overdrive 6speed
Why would you even bother with a 6 speed if you don't want the .86-1 ratio overdrive... That doesn't make sense to me. Only reason I'd ever want a 6speed is for long highway miles, mpg and engine health...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Why would you even bother with a 6 speed if you don't want the .86-1 ratio overdrive... That doesn't make sense to me. Only reason I'd ever want a 6speed is for long highway miles, mpg and engine health...
The bottom gears are lower, thus you can gear the final drive to achieve the same rpm as with an overdrive without the parasitic losses of an overdrive.

Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
if u no anything about 6speeds the derct drv gears ratio is more spaced out ratio wised & it gives the rpm drop without the parasitic power looses that the 0.86 overdrive does.So u get the same 1.1 ratio in 6th gear like you do in a 5speed or you can go with one of illusion motorsport 27tooth motor sprocket that gives you the overdrive effect without the parasitic power losses the 0.86 overdrive does

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Grabbed a case off the shelf that had a bad gear set in it. Found a softail inner n outer primary laying around also. Going to order a gearset and trans plate Monday. Need to look around for a starter and clutch now. Also fitted up case and inner primary to see what needs to b machined off. I'm not worried about being able to pull sixth. Cant see buying a new gearset and not getting six speeds. I dont have to use sixth if i cant. Motor has s&s heads and might b over bored also. If i cant pull it i will regear the final drive. I'm going w a chain final so sprocket changes wont be to bad
So, what brand gearset are you gonna run?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, what brand gearset are you gonna run?
Looks like its going to be a complete trans from ultima. I know its not baket but for the cost i get it (benefit if job) i couldnt pass it up. To get a gearset was about $40 less than a complete trans w mso. I did order my trans plate today also. Im making progress at least at this point.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.