Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since my last build "3 banger" (which some of you may have seen at the Smokeout) wasn't JJ appropriate, I'm excited to share this build. Saw this thing at a swap meet and had to have it. The end product should be a raked, flaked, molded, narrow, springer'd sonofabitch... gonna try and keep the updates quick and plentiful. No one likes those build threads that drag on forever. Anyways, here's some pics. Love, hate, criticism all welcome...

Heres how I found it at the swapper. Tank held on by a bungee cord, and way too much fender.

Deconstruction and in the jig.

Frame was suspect (as expected) so I decided to cut it up a bit...

notched and bent some tubes...

cut more away...

bent and notched some more...

Next up will be some gusseting and motor mounts...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well nobody else is gonna ask so I will
why the hell didnt you just make an entirely new frame ??
u dam near did it anyway :)
BTW u got some nice shit in ur garage bro
Haha...actually, I didnt expect to go this far with the frame. I was just going to replace the backbone and the seat area/seat post that was snot welded on. But then I thought about doing a single loop style frame with some crazy molding, etc, and just ran with it. But yes, I absolutely see your point!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool looking start, but you can do better than those two straight posts....?
I havent tacked those in yet actually. I'm still up in the air on those. I think that once gusseted and molded it'll look fine, but it is a little "plain". I need to order more 1" DOM too, I barely had enough to make those, haha.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
im obsessed with single down tube frames lately it looks like its coming along nicely

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I have to agree. Once I saw those, I was like ....ohhhh. I never cared for frames with those in there. I don't normally critique people's work but before you weld those in there, I thought I would add in my .02 ! A nice center downtube or dual downtubes like a Sportster maybe ?

cool looking start, but you can do better than those two straight posts....?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Really good workmanship. I hope you plan to put the tread plate back under the seat...HA!
GW

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Little slow with updates, been working on a friends 53 Chevy pickup a lot lately...

Well I wasn't so happy with the straight frame uprights, so I made a set of curved ones.

Frame gussets and a point for lower motor mounts to go...

Mocked up the motor..

Motor needs to come forward a tad, but pretty close for initial mock up... Gotta finish weld the frame and get a rear wheel on it so that I can finalize motor placement and then get to work on the fun stuff like exhaust, bars and sissy...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
great job on that frame. i've had a royal enfield on my wish list since the 60's but i've never come across one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More progress... Moved the engine forward an inch, then pulled it back out to finish weld the frame.

turned a bung for the head steady mount.

roller status

narrowed up a Lowbrow p-nut tank kit and roughed in a peak on one side so far.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts