Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a "1951" pan lower end with later model shovelheads and split rockers from a fellow JJer a couple weeks ago. Got the engine in "typical" order, greasy and with both left case motor mounts broken, but matching numbers on the title. This will eventually go into my bike which has a cone shovel at the moment.
Got the engine all stripped down so the motor mounts could be repaired. After cutting through all the grime the belly numbers reveal it is in fact a 59 lower end not a 51. No harm, better bottom end in my mind. Pinion shaft must have been cracked because it blew apart when I started to remove it. Three of the 12 cam chest bolt holes were cracked from over torquing through the years. A fourth bolt was broke right off in the case, the outer distributor mounting bolt had been rammed straight through into the cam case, has a chunk missing from the belly of the left case..
Breather and cam gear are pretty worn down, idler and circuit breaker gear shafts are toast, oil pump drive gear is stuck in the bushing and the gear shows some good wear and tear. Both intake lifters were damn near seized in the lifter bodies, have rust on them.. the breather pipe is snapped off as well.. a bunch of monkeys have been wrenching on this sucker!
Blah blah blah... she got dropped off at the machine shop yesterday, so...here's to a new life!

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
I, like most here, am always amazed at the abuse (along with mis-maintenanced), as well as just shear endurance these motors put up with through the years.......I'm sure nobody building/designing these bits in their respective duties ever expected them to be put through so much. I guess I'm glad we're too happy to have our old stuff and to keep it going everyday.

Best of luck with the work bringing this one back. Nice van-

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that the one with the funny numbers being sold by grafixxman?
It sure is. Brought the title down to the DMV and it switched over just fine. Also the fella doing my machine work is a NYS registration station and said he will put her on the road no problems.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
As my Pappy, would say (USN Ret.) she's seen deep water and heavy gun fire! Good on ya for rescuing the old Panhead.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
hey good on you for getting it back in good working condition
I was close to buying that motor and now Im glad that I didnt
I dont have the funds now to dig into a full rebuild like that

good luck with it keep the pics coming

·
Administrator
7,775 Posts
Purchased a "1951" pan lower end with later model shovelheads and split rockers. Got the engine in "typical" order, greasy and with both left case motor mounts broken, but matching numbers on the title. After cutting through all the grime the belly numbers reveal it is in fact a 59 lower end not a 51.
Are you saying that you have a set of '59 cases with a '51 title?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sorry to hijack . I have a Shovel that is a 78 and is titled 81 . DMV cleared it. #'s on the case are the same on the paper.
keep up the work ChopperArn

·
Administrator
7,775 Posts
Well that's ok then, so long as the original felony continues to elude the long arm of the law.
Yep, E'man is right. All that has happened is the dmv issued another title to something that might not be corrrect.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While the cases are being welded and machined i've still got a few things to work on. Although I never had any issues with my electrics on this bike, I'm contemplating going to a batteryless system.. came with a nice mag that I've gone through and it appears to be tip top. Also wondering about the folks that run SU's, I picked two up at a swap a few weeks ago for dirt cheap.. currently running a Super E.. any insight? Dropping drag pipes for something a bit more advantageous... will update as progress and changes are made

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got my SU completely rebuilt and set back to Primo's specs, waiting on my cases still.
Check out the picture of my generators armature.. a single segment of the commutator has either chipped off or been pushed back, ever seen this? There is also an oily build up inside the generator body and the components are a bit oily as well, have a replacement seal and gaskets but the cap screw on the side of the body will not budge! Can I jam up the drive gear without buggering it up and get to the bearing/ oil deflector/ seal that way?
Also running a Cycle electric voltage regulator, is there a functions check I can run it through with my ohmmeter to ensure its good to go?

Thanks in advance if you can lend some insight..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
something along those lines..
just a heads up you better be absolutely sure you have the correct vin numbers on those cases and title

if you have a title for a 1951 harley the cases should read 51flxxxx or 51flhxxxx or something along those lines but the first two numbers have to be 51 followed by the model (FL, FLH, etc)

same goes for 59
vin on the cases has to be 59FLxxxx etc.

even if the DMV issues you a title if they dont match what is on the cases and you get stopped chances are your bike is gonna hauled away by the law

also check the actual number stamps and make sure they are the correct number characters (IE open top 4's and straight back 6's etc.)

again 99% of cops out there wouldnt know the difference but all it takes is that 1 cop that works for an auto larceny unit and your gonna lose your bike and get charged with a felony offense

if your numbers are messed up look into the knuckleworks cases
at least for the left side case
you would be better off spending money on that repro case (and some other options regarding the VIN numbers)
then you would having a left side case with fucked up numbers repaired.

Im not saying that your stuff is messed up Im just trying to offer a little advise and insight

but I vaguely remember something about the numbers not being right with this motor
but I might have it confused with another
not trying to offend you or say you got screwed or anything just dont want to see anyone lose their ride over not knowing what looks right and what doesnt

if you need any more help or info feel free to pm me on here

1 - 20 of 32 Posts