Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it sounds a little funny but here's how it ended up in my garage:

My neighbor just lost his brother about 6 months ago. Among his belongings there was a 50 pan/shovel. After putting out quite a bit of money for a nice funeral they decided to sell the bike to help recover some costs. No one in the family rides so it was an easy decision. I offered to go thru the bike and get back up to par as it was a complete running bike when he stopped riding due to health complications a couple years ago.

I mentioned to the neighbor that it would be good to get it registered in his name as it would probably run off a few buyers being registered to a dead guy. With that in mind, his dad transferred the title to his name with no problem and flipped it into non op.

They brought the bike to my garage and I started looking it over. I'm figuring out that it was pretty well pieced together and a bit rougher than we originally thought. I drained the gas, cleaned the carb and touched a few things up to see if it would fire. It fired right up and sounds great. Know knowing it runs i started tearing it down to rewire and clean it up. I started looking at the #'s on it to get an idea what i was dealing with. I was told it's a 93". It does have S&S heads, kidney cover and a Super E carb. I assumed it was an set of S&S cases because it was obvious they weren't HD. To my dismay, i found there are few #'s on the cases except two matching 4 digit #'s on each case side behind the rear cylinder and the following #'s (19369669) on the front next to the generator housing. There is nothing stamped in the usual tag spot between the bottom of the cylinders. It's actually a cast finish so it has never been ground down.

As I mentioned before, it is currently titled as a 1950 pan I.D. #50flxxxx. This I.D. # is nowhere to be found on the bike. The frame is a 57 straight leg type obviously with no #'s or blue tag.

From my understanding this thing is pretty well useless as it cant ever pass a vin inspection in CA. I asked my brother who's a CHP what he thought and he told me it's not in my best interest to have it in my garage. Even though it may have built on the up and up, with no vin #'s there's no way to prove it's not stolen. I have no idea how it was ever titled 12 years ago when the owner bought it.

I'll post some pics later when I get a chance.

My main question is there any way to title it correctly or is my best option to tear it down and off it in pieces?

Many thanks in advance...Bob

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
All redy on that for my buddy, but pics of the motor will help as to IDing the numbers and motor.....Roach.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Aftermarket replacement cases, for pan or knuck, so if it is regs and has any of the motor numbers on the title, then yer fine, if not, then some where in the guys paper is the M.S.O. to those cases.........Looks ligit to me......Roach.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
And I mean the numbers by the gen, thats what would be on the MSO....

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
That would be at the DMV, if they have no record, then parting it out will be the best option, the paper is still worth something to some one to "Hang" on the wall.............Roach.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Oh and if they are S&S cases, then the Ex of the eastate can get a Copy of the MSO from S&S, not any one else..... :(

·
Registered
655 Posts
Those are STD cases.

I have two sets, so I'm familiar with their numbering system.

The matching 4 digit #'s behind the cyls are the middle #'s from the serial #.
(in your case they should be 3696)

I can tell you that numerically, those cases were made around 2006.

I say this because I have a set from 2003 and a set from 2009, and your serial number is right about perfectly between my two serial numbers.

This leads me to beleive that the bike was titled off of the original H-D numbered cases in 1999 (12 years ago).

Something has changed since.

On a positive note, the once belly-up STD was recently purchased and revived by Spyke Inc.

Contact them for possible duplicate MSO .

Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those are STD cases.

I have two sets, so I'm familiar with their numbering system.

The matching 4 digit #'s behind the cyls are the middle #'s from the serial #.
(in your case they should be 3696)

I can tell you that numerically, those cases were made around 2006.

I say this because I have a set from 2003 and a set from 2009, and your serial number is right about perfectly between my two serial numbers.

This leads me to beleive that the bike was titled off of the original H-D numbered cases in 1999 (12 years ago).

Something has changed since.

On a positive note, the once belly-up STD was recently purchased and revived by Spyke Inc.

Contact them for possible duplicate MSO .

Good luck.
Damn you guys are good!! 3696 is the 4 digit #. I know that the reg is the only paperwork they have.

If i understand this correctly, if you have the MSO, that then gets attached to the vin and all is good?

So could that MSO be filed with the registration at DMV already? I'll call Spyke Monday and check with them. I just want to be sure that when they go to sell it that no one gets screwed or im not wasting my time on a bike that cant be registered again.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Some states go off the frame I.D. number....

Maybe this is why the motor is not numbered to the paper..???
If the title has a Pan vin,, the frame has nothing to do with it. Sounds like the PO had the bike a while, and had some case issues at some point that required replacing them,, I have seen replacement cases stamped with the HD #,as thats what ya did

·
Registered
35 Posts
This might sound a bit hookey, but if you know the bike is clean and you have title and registration with numbers, I would seek out someone that will stamp those cases with the numbers on the paperwork. It can be done, and done well enough that you wont get any hassels. On the other hand if you think something stinks about the deal, I would wash my hands of it right away.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I checked on that. The only thing that came with it was a set of pipes and a giant king and queen seat.
Back in the day that was the way to cover your ass, if you had to replace damaged cases. you held onto the case 1/2 so you had the vin to match the paper, so when you stamped the new cases, was no issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This might sound a bit hookey, but if you know the bike is clean and you have title and registration with numbers, I would seek out someone that will stamp those cases with the numbers on the paperwork. It can be done, and done well enough that you wont get any hassels. On the other hand if you think something stinks about the deal, I would wash my hands of it right away.
I totally agree but i need to keep on the up and up. I can suggest it to the neighbor after its out of my garage.

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
You say it's titled as a 1950, then that sounds like the original left case blew and then it was replaced with the aftermarket case. Problem is even with an mso it would have to be titled as a special construction. The oem 1950 case had HD numbers, you can't put HD numbers into aftermarket cases. You also have no matching numbers to the title, get pulled over and you're most likely going to be walking home.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You say it's titled as a 1950, then that sounds like the original left case blew and then it was replaced with the aftermarket case. Problem is even with an mso it would have to be titled as a special construction. The oem 1950 case had HD numbers, you can't put HD numbers into aftermarket cases. You also have no matching numbers to the title, get pulled over and you're most likely going to be walking home.
What ?? why SC ??? never heard of such a thing

1 - 20 of 50 Posts