1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just put new studs in your old three finger clutch...I like three finger clutch hubs better anyway.

And, if you're running a belt drive, i'd recommend installing a ram jet.

So, to answer your question, I wouldn't buy either of those.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Depends on your budget and how much power that shovel is gonna put down. If it's not a major hot rod the 3 stud unit is fine. The rivera is great if you got plenty money and you need the best to hook up. I
dare say most shovels can get by fine with a 3 stud (or 5) and don't
forget the TAMER. Most important.
Rod

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the ram jet retainer. I guess I should clarify a little. The fingers on he 3 stud hub are groved, so we kinda fugured a 5 stud would be a nice upgrade.

Where could I get the studs by themselves?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The 5s are not any better than the three. You still have ten studs on both. And the 3s are easier to adjust the clutch throwout on. You can buy just the studs to replace but getting the old ones out is kinda a bitch as they are threaded through and then peened in a countersunk hole on the backside. My labor is easily worth the extra few bucks just to buy the whole damn thing. Course, there's probably some trick you learn after you've done a few.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Creepinogie said:
The 5s are not any better than the three. You still have ten studs on both. And the 3s are easier to adjust the clutch throwout on. You can buy just the studs to replace but getting the old ones out is kinda a bitch as they are threaded through and then peened in a countersunk hole on the backside. My labor is easily worth the extra few bucks just to buy the whole damn thing. Course, there's probably some trick you learn after you've done a few.
I weld'm in. Done.
When they wear out, grind the weld, replace, weld again.

Best,

Weyland

·
Registered
237 Posts
Regarding Egay. If you need to ask someone else about your purchase, then you are not sure about your knowledge of the application. For my money, stay the hell away from Egay. Talk to the guys on the Journal. There is enough expertise here to take care of your existing equipment without resorting to those fucking crooks. Send your shit to Weyman, send your shit out to Creepinogie. Don't buy anything from Egay that you are not PERSONALLY 100% sure of. Our guys have your back. The Egay rabble generally are just trying to separate you from your hard earned dollars. Egay is the last resort for EXPERTS or Fools. If you are not sure which category you fit in, with all due respect, you are not an expert and will soon be separated from your cash and your self respect.

FUCK EBAY.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With all due respect. I love ebay. I've been using it since 1998, so I kinda know my way around. I also can respect someone's opinion.

So I will take your advice on this issue, as you have noticed, I don't know much about shovels. This is a father-son project that is moving kinda slowly and we are at that next step, the clutch.

I remember as a kid to be riding with my dad on it. I can still remember watching the little pieces of gravel flying through the beam from the headlight. I also remember the sound from the straight pipes as he would bumpstart it out of the driveway. Just looking to see that same smile on his face again.

Since the 3 stud hub has been grooved, does anyone on here sell the studs?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Keith said:
Since the 3 stud hub has been grooved, does anyone on here sell the studs?
There's lots of dealers here.
My recommendation on order of searching would be to
find your local independant shop and support them, first.
Second, look to the dealers on this board that are near you.
Third, I can help you if you don't find the other two.

Supporting your local shop has way too many
positives to gain, and little (if any) negatives.

On the good side, you build a relationship
with someone that can help you, in *person*.
You also help support your local economy.
As well, you have an outlet to pursue should
something go wrong, or just plain old need help.

The internet has really fucked the little indy shop in
some ways, as people are always (naturally) looking for
the best deal, quickly, and never think (for whatever reason)
to simply open their door and look in their back yard.

Best,

Weyland

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Weyland said:
I weld'm in. Done.
When they wear out, grind the weld, replace, weld again.

Best,

Weyland
Huh? They are threaded into the hub. Why weld? All you need to do is center a drill over the backside ofthe stud and drill off the peen and unthread the old stud. But it still is a pain int he ass. Why complicate things with welding and fuck up the heat treated studs?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Creepinogie said:
Huh? They are threaded into the hub. Why weld? All you need to do is center a drill over the backside ofthe stud and drill off the peen and unthread the old stud. But it still is a pain int he ass. Why complicate things with welding and fuck up the heat treated studs?
Because it's simple and fast. Takes me less than five minutes.

We're not talking about a full filet weld with 1/4" of penetration.
We're talking about simply welding the surface up to keep them from backing out.

Add to this, the fact that the threads cut into the new fingers
are often sloppy at best, allowing them to wiggle while you
peen, and the fact that I've a simple fixture for holding them
straight while welding, and it makes it a walk in the park.

As for the heat treat, you're no where near the wear points, and
the the time that the HAZ is actually at temperature is negligeable
with regard to the amount of time actually required for annealing.
Besides, if you can peen them, they're not that hard to begin with.
Maybe Rockwell 45 C scale, but now you've piqued my intrest, so I'll have to test one, now... :)>)

Best,

Weyland

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Ok, the peening and heat treat make sense. They must be heat treated (or perhaps not at all) on the projection side where they mesh with the clutch holes. Or, at least you'd think they are. it's a load bearing surface when the clutch plates meet it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. Simms has a shop on the other side of town that I'll go check when I get home from college.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts