Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd try a build thread with my current project (I am the type of person who likes to wait till it's finished to show everyone). My last project was a 45" (magnum) OHV conversion with exposed valvtrain. It really worked well, and I love the early hillclimb bikes, so I figured I'd do another one. This one is not just for show, it will actually go up the hill. With the tooling and the spare/duplicate parts from the last bike, hopefully it will go alittle quicker this time around.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a junky RL I-beam rear leg I wanted to use, but the neck (servicar) was too tall, so I secured the frame in the milling machine, shortened it, and re-bored it for the neck cups. I was comparing the differences between the VL leg and the RL, and noticed the VL was taller from the spring perch to the handlebar clamp. I made new, longer, upper ends for RL rear leg, so now it was dimensionally the same as the VL. With my shortened neck and my longer rear leg, I could now add a spacer under the lower bearing, essentially giving the front end a "lift kit" of about 3/4".

Attachments

·
Banned
1,454 Posts
damn seeing your screen name reminds me about the magneto parts you set aside for me a few months ago! trying to sell this old 1920s gas pump to finally get ahead on the money. then ill hit you up about that stuff.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
For anyone that hasn't seen or heard his last bike in person...........it's INSANE!!! Craftsmanship and finish work is absolutely top notch. Can't wait to see the hill climber!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
This is a National Treasure! Work of Art. The Brake Drum that you "create" is absolutely Beautiful. Flawless, like a piece of jewelery. What do you lube the top end components with? Seems like a good application for Slick 50 or some high tech synthetic.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That has got to be one of the prettiest engines ever! Just WOW

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My question is, How do you keep the trans & its cast mounting plate from cracking under the torq of that monster, & The 3 speed trans with its rollers & super thin bushings must be a nightmare to keep up with. I couldn't imagine riding that daily, as i am what you say,"A bit hard on my toys"
Have you had any real issues with it, and does it get riddendaily/ or even regularly?

And don't take that as a knock, it's incredible in every form of the word, & the obvious attention to every detail is just dripping with craftmanship !!!
VERY WELL DONE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ride it a fair amount, but I take it easy on the transmission. I built it more for a challange, not daily transportation. This hill climb bike is going to be a different story. I am sure the trans will come apart on it, but thats what spares are for!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts