Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having some major problems with my 45" Flatty.

Last year everything worked perfectly and this winter I had the bike apart and the engine mounted on a engine stand standing upright. The engine is untouched thou.

Coverted the ignition to a magneto. Having problems to get the bike running so I have been testing a lot.

But today when I was trying to start the bike after a couple (maybe 20) kickstarts the engine pushed out oil from the front right corner. It´s some sort of tube going up inside the engine and it came a lot of oil out of it.

What has happend?
Just getting more and more frustrated... I wan´t to start riding it now.

G

·
About re-seating the check ball...

Those are cast iron....If you are thinking about taking two 3/8 balls and doing the hammer thing....IDK....That would spook me...

Need to do a lap with an Evo pushrod (the ball on the end is 3/8)
But...The pump would need to come off in order to do the super clean up...

Perhaps you could pull the spring/ball from the pump and brake-clean the seat and put it back together for a fire up and see what happens from there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
But today when I was trying to start the bike after a couple (maybe 20) kickstarts the engine pushed out oil from the front right corner. It´s some sort of tube going up inside the engine and it came a lot of oil out of it.
Most of the time the oil would come out the vent on the first few kicks...
Could be the return pump is not up to snuff...
May be a good idea to pull the return line and run it into a bucket ...this will show that the pump is doing it's job....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
yep ^^
the oilpump balls and springs can cause that "problem" at some point
no big deal
on top of your oilpump there are some screwlike bolds
first take the oil out of your engine like dragstews showed you
then check the springs and the balls (use a magnet or something ,dont go tweeking with a screwdriver or any other sharp object !!)
and check if its clean
if the oil comes out clean without any kind of dirt of some kind
take the feedpump of (by removing the bolts /nuts and oillines)the engine and rebuild it with new parts

its quite simpel ;)
PS: parts are cheap and you can find them here iff necess.
www.45flatheadservice.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gettin' ready to go dig my 45 out from over a year of not riding. Glad i read this... Of course, i expect this from my Evo, but i'd feel like i'd been cursed if it did it also on my 45. May just perform the drain and return line trick just for good measure?

·
Banned
700 Posts
Folks.

Beware that some sidevalve feed pumps are "chilled", and so hard and brittle that even a burnisher can damage their ball-check seats (and destroy the burnisher as well).

Beating upon them could only be worse.

Repair requires disassembly and careful inspection through the refinishing process, preferrably with a quality borescope.

The best approach is to either drain the tank if the machine is to sit idle for more than a six weeks or so (it varies...),
or ride it at least weekly.

Even that can be more difficult than it seems.

....Cotten

·
Registered
192 Posts
They all do that after they have sat unused for a while. Usual thing to do is put a catch tray on the floor under that engine breather pipe at the front right of the engine catch the oil. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Old Harleys, making the oil companies richer, with every two week sitting period. At least they are not built like Honda's, which have all been converted into beer cans.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.