Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a servi-car front frame section I'm currently de-rakeing to turn into a solo. I have tried searching everywhere for dimensions on the rear portion of the solo frame but have came up with nothing. Is there a place I can get this information? Is there anyone out there with a solo frame that can help me get measurements from? Rear leg width between tubes, and axle plates, Axle hight, axle plate dimensions so I can start making them, degrees of rear leg bends top and bottom, distance between seat post and axle. stuff like that

thanks

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Send me a pm wirh phone # im off 2morrow will be in shop all day.
Slim

·
Registered
973 Posts
dont the manuals have alignment diagrams?
starting to wonder if Ive seen a diagram , have a check around, I lost a heap of stuff on this computer.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only found a diagram for a servi car and it had all the measurements for the front section that I already have. Would be nice if I could find something like that for the rear section of the solo. oh well thats life I guess. Im not looking to go 100% factory just near factory enough that I can have a almost period correct looking little race like bob job. It looks like alot of other people on the net have been searching for the same thing. Luckily it looks like Slim might be able to help me out. If I get some measurements from him I can post them up here for anybody else looking for them.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The Servi neck seems longer, and maybe the seat post is slightly further back, but the drawings may not be totally correct

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I have made little progress due to the lack of time I have to work on it, but this is what I have done so far. I'm not going for an exact solo frame because this is a buget build. The rear legs are made out of 1" dom instead of 7/8 because I already had it. I drilled the old tube out and slid in my freshly bent tubes. I drilled and tapped a hole in the sides to thread a bolt in and keep the tubes in place. After welding the outer seems I will remove the bolt and plug weld. While placing my lower legs in I realized the forging is tweaked. I think I will apply heat and bend it back to 90 degrees from the seat post to avoid problems with lower leg semetry.Before I do that I assume its not supposed to be like that correct? Now whos got a real cheap set of beat up 3.5 fatbobs I can chop up into wr style tanks :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Cody,,, Nice job so far!!! Lookin good... Be very cautious about bending that casting, it very well may pop on ya... Hope the dem's helped, !!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I haven't forgotten about this thread I have just been super busy. I'm working on getting my first house. getting inspections done never ending paper work and that bs. so now that you know why I haven't had time lets revive this thread. as far as the rear section once all the material was removed from the leg forgings the tubing only had one position it could stay in. I then stuck a straight piece of tube in the lower forging to get a measurement. I found the angle of the main hoop lower to the tube sticking out of the forging. so if you take that angle and bend both lower legs to match this will allow your lower legs to run parallel. I then did the same for the upper legs. Then start trimming the tube before the bend so you can achieve a distance of 8.5" between legs. then I jigged the frame. next I clamped a straight edge to the frame like in the frame straightening diagram. I used this to set the axle height then ran the legs to the appropriate location. I haven't started my axle plates yet because I'm unsure of what wheel and axle size I'm gonna use. I'm currently at work but will post pics later.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here is a pic of it in the frame jig. I got a set of fat bobs off a member here then promptly started chopping them. you know how some fat bobs have that ugly big indention under the tank. I think maybe just the later ones? (I'm not sure not to much experience with them) But moving past that these tanks did have that ugly indention. So I cut it out while narrowing the tank and shaped a new piece on the english wheel and fired up the tig.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Lookin good Cody !!! Should be pretty slick if it continues the same as current progress!!!!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Best done job I've seen. Did you weld or braze the new tubing to the old forgings. When I stripped 40 years of "chopper" off my solo frame, I found the entire frame coated with brass left over from the oven brazing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya mine had messy brazing in random areas of the frame. what I did was spend hours drilling the old frame tubes out. I stopped a size below the tubing and seperated the brazing from the forging. then drilled a hole in the side of the forging. I tapped the hole for a set bolt to hold things together while I construct it. Im gonna weld the legs with my tig then remove the bolt and plug weld for added strength.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts