Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 49 tank shift transmission. I had thought i had the trans put back together correctly but it isn't. When i take off it feels like im taking off in second. I am going to take my top off the transmission and check to make sure the shifter cam is aligned properly. What do i need to look for when putting the top cover back on the transmission? Make sure the trans in in nuetral and that the shiter cam is in neutal when i put the top cover back on?

I did a search and had some topics related to tank shift put nothing specific so if anyone has a thread show me please, thanks.

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
First off, the transmission top doesn't matter as far as hand or foot shift. They work the same way. You cannot put the top on with the forks in a wrong place, physical impossibility. You CAN have the shifter drum timed incorrectly in the top so that you do not get full travel (amount of rotation). What are you using for a shifter, direct?, linkage? etc? Can your shifter move without interfering with anything? Did that top come on that box? And if not were the forks shimmed properly for centering?
Robbie

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Well, first off, did it work properly before? I ask that because I once spent WAY too much time on the phone helping a guy with the same problem only to find it was a 3 speed with reverse! But if it's a true 4 speed with the correct drum, it's probably not aligned correctly. One easy check is to disconnect the shift linkage at the trans and see if you can manually move the arm enough to engage first. If you can, but it's waaay too far forward or backward, then it's just the shifter alignment. If you can't, it's time to pull the cover again...

-Kuda
'49 panchop

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
So true Kuda,
Made me think of something else. What year is the TOP? Pre'47 the arm faces up, post '47 down. If it is the wrong style you will be trying to take off in high rather than low!
Robbie

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robbie - My firsts thoughts are that I dont have the shifter cam in time, When I take the linkage off I can move the arm back and forth but it doesn't feel like im hitting all the notches on the cam for the gears.

Kuda - The trans top is a post 47 I have it postioned down and this is a rebuilt trans bike didn't have one in it. The cam from what I remember had three notches close to each other and a forth one that was spaced out further from the other three. I thought I had a four speed cam and not a three with reverse.

When I take the cover off and I check to make sure I have my notches aligned on the cam and the shift gear should the cam plunger ball be in any specific notch?

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
in neutral the plunger is in the notch that is spaced BETWEEN two others. basically notch, notch, notch, notch at half width, last notch. 5 detents total!
Robbie

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay that makes sense cause the old cam i replaced cause the notches were worn really bad but there were five notches total. An I know not to take all info in the Clymer book to heart but it said neutral didnt have a notch but if there is five notches on the cam then it would make sense that neutal had a notch so it wouldn't get knocked into 1st or 2nd.

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
If you are wasting your time with a Clymer book you'll never get it right. Factory manuals are cheap and plentiful. Clymer is hardly fire starting fodder!
Any pics of your top/cam and tranny?
Robbie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.