Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, Ive been running a early 4 speed with a shovel main shaft since my rebuild about 2 seasons or so. But now im thinking of swapping it out for a 4speed with ears! is there any way to put a bearing support on without swapping cases? just throwing it out there before i make a jump??

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heres my question: ive been riding on this early trans for some time now. It now has a later mainshaft, and was wondering if the bearing support is a true must? im on the fence of buying a trans/case. any help would be good.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
734 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a must. I have a few friends running belts on later mainshafts with early trannys. It'll wear faster and seals will go away letting you know something's up. How many miles ya plan on yearly?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
u want to run an electric start trans on a cone shovel motor with an open primary correct ? and you want a support to hold the mainshaft on the trans
if so they do make a bearing support that bolts onto the ears on the trans
i hax one on my shovel before i added the tech cycle electric start kit to it
ill see if i can find it in my parts bin and take a pic

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
u want to run an electric start trans on a cone shovel motor with an open primary correct ? and you want a support to hold the mainshaft on the trans
if so they do make a bearing support that bolts onto the ears on the trans
i hax one on my shovel before i added the tech cycle electric start kit to it
ill see if i can find it in my parts bin and take a pic
Ralph: its a early trans with no ears, open primary

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ralph: its a early trans with no ears, open primary
ohh okay sorry I mis read that then
I thought you wanted to go with a later style case with the ears (thats what I have, and what I have the support for, the support bolts to the ears)

sorry for the confusion I dont know of anything thats made for the trans cases with no ears

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can pick up an Ultima e-start case from Jireh for less than 2 Bens and it is made in U.S. Just for your info.

I am about to change to the e-start case with the correct length mainshaft to match my '66 engine.

I am very happy with the quality of the Ultima case, it is beefier than stock case.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can pick up an Ultima e-start case from Jireh for less than 2 Bens and it is made in U.S. Just for your info.

I am about to change to the e-start case with the correct length mainshaft to match my '66 engine.

I am very happy with the quality of the Ultima case, it is beefier than stock case.
Thats great to know! ill look into that!
Thanks

·
Registered
946 Posts
I think most of the trouble occurs with the 4th gear bushing. The mainshaft stress with oblong it a bit and you'll start leaking. I have read about boring out a 4th gear for early 5 speed needle bearings and seals which sounds like it might have a better shot that a bushing at taking the wear but have no first hand experience with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.