Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've had a project going for more than 5 years now, and was just about to start the thing.

Aside from ignition acting up, I also noticed my transmission won't shift more than to 1nd and neutral. Anything else is completely numb. The transmission was running when I started the project, although I have lifted the transmission lid once to look inside.

What could have caused this? Could it be that I somehow assembled the shifter top the wrong way when putting on the ratchet top?

The linkage seems to running clear, and no collisions can be identified that can cause this.

I deeply value any input I can get before I tear down the bike for this. The way it's built, I will need to remove rearwheel, fender, exhaust, oil tank etc. just to reach the ratchet top :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
Only a guess - couple of things could be in the mix

1 the lid was installed before the 3 - 4 shift fork was in place - hard to eff that up but if the hat to bushing had fallen off well than maybe that is your issue - maybe

2 its not impossible to assume in the years its been sitting it was in a speed and not in neutral - this would have loaded the ratchet top spring in one of the compressed position - this could have caused the spring to fatigue - when this happens they snap - this does not let the shift come back on its own so selecting the next gear is impossible both shift up or down

clockwise and counterclockwise use one main spring and one detent small spring being 4 things in the ratchet top that control the shifting up and down and sitting for years rust /corrosion - plus a bushing and the alloy drum centers the works and we see them now 60 years old worn as well - all the movement from wear causes the spring to over load as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
the explanation above is the exact thing I would have told you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for response!

I did a little more digging the other night and it turned out there actually was a collision with the linkages :sneaky:. I will have to fabricate a new connector to stay clear. Hopefully I can get it running after this :)
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top