Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my neutral light working, so I started by testing the switch with a voltmeter. It was bad, so I got a new one. Put it in, and placed one meter lead on the center stud and the other lead to ground. Whether in neutral, or any gear, I was seeing no continuity on the meter.
Looking through the hole that the switch threads into, I can see the shifter cam rotating when I shift. What I am NOT seeing is any kind of bump/detent/hole etc. It is smooth and round throughout the shift pattern.
The bike shifts fine (1 down, 3 up). It is an FX motor, but the PO had converted it to look like an FL, with forward controls. Is it possible that to get it to shift like this, they just flipped the pawl carrier/shift arm/etc. on the ratchet top upside down, so that now the backside of the shifter cam is facing the neutral switch hole? I was hoping for a little insight before digging into my otherwise functional tranny! Thanks as always, guys 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a bump for those who were on vacation 馃榿 Also, I should have said shifter gear instead of shifter cam. I believe I should have HD p/n 33960-74, but like I said, I don't see the little bump no matter what gear position it is in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was afraid of, lol. After finding so many other weird things on my bike, wouldn't surprise me a bit to find a mismatched or mis-clocked part. We'll see how it goes. Thanks!

Registered
Early 4 speeds didn't even have a neutral switch, and if I'm not mistaken, early shifter top gears didn't have the bump to push the switch. You probably have one of them. The OEM number for the ones with the bump is 33960-36A. I'm pretty sure the A is to differentiate the later one with the switch bump from the earlier one without. Looks like you get to rebuild a ratchet top if your set on having a light.

Registered
If it were me:

鈥 Affix a basic on/off toggle to the bars (unless you have an existing multiposition switch with an unused etc.). Use the switch to power an xmas tree light taped to the bars or in the location of your choice. Choose any pleasing color for the bulb.

鈥 Get skillful at feeling where neutral is at, using your toe. (Caution: foot change only.)

鈥 Every time you find neutral with your finely calibrated toe, thumb the handlebar switch. Thumb it again when you select a gear.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heheh, I'm not so set on a light that I'm ready to tear into an otherwise functioning ratchet top. One of those down-the-road projects, I guess 馃 Just have to remember to make sure it's not in gear when I hit the starter (only happened once, but I don't know whether it was me or the guy nearby who was more surprised when the bike almost wheelied away!)

Registered
Heheh, I'm not so set on a light that I'm ready to tear into an otherwise functioning ratchet top. One of those down-the-road projects, I guess 馃 Just have to remember to make sure it's not in gear when I hit the starter (only happened once, but I don't know whether it was me or the guy nearby who was more surprised when the bike almost wheelied away!)
Before you decide to tear into it, at any point, you might want to make sure you have all the parts in hand. I got curious and did an internet search for both the FL and FX top gears, and it appears that there aren't many around that are readily available. I'm sure that a lot of folks have them stashed away, but most of the internet suppliers show them out of stock or discontinued.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts