Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to run a spool on my 33.4mm front it currently has drum front what size spool is gonna be easier to mount a 3/4 or 5/8 bearing cause im assuming the front axle is like a wierd 17mm right
thanx ironlance

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The 5/8ths wheel. Turn the stock axle down on a lathe to fit.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Or get bearings that fit. Yes, you can get bearings with a metric OD (usually 35 or 40 mm) and a standard ID like 5/8" or 3/4", and vice-versa. There was a thread on the subject here recently if you search. Or jsut get your measurements and call a bearing supply house. I use Precision Bearing in Newburgh, NY.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If you change bearings, the ID on a sportster axle is 17 mm, not 5/8ths. Measure the axle first, then the OD on the hub, and get bearings that match, not to mention, depth of the bearing. Or take them to a bearing supplier, and let them measure, to be sure.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I guess what I meant to say is that many spool wheel bearings with standard ID's are actually metric OD (usually 35 or 40mm), and have a metric ID equivalent with a 17mm ID.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I guess what I meant to say is that many spool wheel bearings with standard ID's are actually metric OD (usually 35 or 40mm), and have a metric ID equivalent with a 17mm ID.
I knew what you were saying, but I was afraid that it did not explain the metric versus the sae bearings. A lot of Sportster riders, believe that the front axle on a ironhead are 5/8ths. Since most HD run sae, and who would believe that on a 50's or 60's bike had ANYTHING metric.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts