Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Looks like a great site!

Could really use some help with the part number for the Damper valve body on my forks. Hoping someone here is familiar. Took it apart to change the seals and found an issue with the damper valve on one side.

Pic of bike

Pic of entire damper and location of parts needed.

Pic of damper valve body and washer.
Right one is good..
Middle one is bad (look at the inner diameter and you can see the collar the holds the damper washer from falling has worn through)..
Left are the replacements I ordered. The washer is correct but the valve body does not match.
The research I did (online and local Harley shop familiar with vintage parts) determined the forks to off a 71 - 72 FX or early Sporty, 33.4mm.
The part numbers I ordered are 46231-71 (damper valve body) and 46170-71 (damper valve body washer).
Need to figure out if I ordered the incorrect part number or if the place I ordered it from has them mis-labeled.

Top of Damper

Bottom

Would like to get this back on the road ASAP.
Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Regards, Ken

·
Registered
515 Posts
I may have what you need, ill check when i get home from work.
If I have it, just pay shipping and its yours.

jeff

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hope this helps. It has helped me identify front ends so I can order parts for them when I don't know what year bike the front end came off of. It's a copy, hope you can see it OK.

Rectangle Font Parallel Poster Number

Mutt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would help so much Jeff.
Can't tell you how much I appreciate the offer. Hope it works out.
The bike has been on the lift for two weeks now.
That's about two weeks too long! Especially this this time of year.

Regards, Ken

I may have what you need, ill check when i get home from work.
If I have it, just pay shipping and its yours.

jeff

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ok, heres what I got,
They look different from what you have, but I have no idea whose done what to mine (i dont even have that short spring in mine).
Im thinking if you use my pcs (the holed one on my hand and thin washer) In both of your tubes you would be good to go.
I can get you measurments if you want or you can just take everything in the pic and do what you need to.
Another option is to find a machinist, thats a super easy pc to make and couldnt cost too much or take long to do.

jeff

ps, I can throw everything in the mail tommorow then just let you know how much shipping was (I can trust you right? LOL)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jeff,

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to do this for me. I really appreciate it.

Your dampers do look a bit different but I'm hoping one of them, the part I need (valve body) is the same. Also hoping what you have are not out of 39mm or a different diameter fork.

Just measured the valve body (part in your hand in the pic) that I have.
The OD is 28.4mm, ID is 24mm and the height is 33.5mm.
The collar inside is 10mm from the top and 22mm from the bottom.

Pretty sure I need to get the correct part as the way I see it, the inside collar on the valve body holds the fork leg from over extending. Changing a tire or hitting a bump big enough to put the front wheel in the air could be interesting..

I feel like paying you just for taking the time to dig those out and will obviously be more than happy to pay for shipping. If any of those valve body's are close to my measurements, please send send them my way.

Regards, Ken

·
Registered
515 Posts
pm me your address and theyre yours!
Theyre out of an early sporty w/ drum brake
You can tell by the one dampener tube why I wasnt using it (thought it was a great swapmeet find untill i opened it up.
Ive got an alum fork brace for that front end too ($20 if you want that, and ill ship it w/ your freebies)
jeff

·
Registered
515 Posts
alright here we go.
I see your on here early in the morning so all this info will be ready and waiting. LOL

All measurments were done just w/ calipers then converted to metric (dam metric system!)
OD. 28.469
ID. 23.898
Heigth 27.911
Thru hole dia. (basically for the dampener rod to pass thru) 15.441

And heres a pic of the fork brace (6 5/8 center to center measured w/ tape)

jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jeff, Sent you a PM.

Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyone's offer to help. I just received the part a two days ago.
Took a while but persistence finally paid off! Fortunately I've got another ride because this bike's been down for at least a month now.
A shop in VA (Skip's Speed & Custom Cycle) had put their inventory on an Excel spreadsheet that I found on the last page of a Google part number search..
Going to get it back on the road today! Happy Camper!!

Regards, Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts