Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you call the collars that sit at the top of the fork lowers, the piece the dust cap sit around?Does anybody know where I can get a pair from and how do you remove them, from the lowers.I have a set on my the front end thats on my bike, I have some more lowers and I'd like to rebuild these as I'm having issues with the axle/spindle moving in the lowers thats on the bike now.
Has anybody had the same problem, the wheel twists when I turn the forks, from full lock.The pinch bolt is tight, but the axle still seems to move!
Thanks.

Nick.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Isn't that part of the lowers?
I've checked the parts manual, and there isnt a loose part there? except for the slider bushing, but that doesn't have a collar around it.
What I do know is that there are a couple (4?) different lower forks up to 1972 and if I'm not mistaken, the first couple of years there was a smaller axle used...
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Man,that does help. I really dig your Blog, I check it every day.Your new Sporty is NICE man!

Nick.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm thinking you're referring to the kind of flimsey rolled sheet metal pieces that were pressed into the top of the sliders and created a lip that the gators could grab on to. They were on my KHK sliders but not on the '68 sliders I picked up later. I trashed them when I had the sliders re-bushed. I've never seen any others, but then I haven't looked either.

The axle pinch on my '68 sliders would close the gap at the tip. For this to happen the bore had to be at least a little egg shaped. When you have somewhat malleable metal such as the sliders are made from it will, over the course of time and many cycles of tightening and loosening retain a partial memory of its last position. Eventually you get to where the 1/16 or so gap is closed at the tip and the lower part of the axle bore is out of round. This is probably where your shimmy comes from.

What I did was to spread the gap back open until the sides were parallel and then make a shim/washer to fit the gap. Then I sinched up the pinch bolt and set the slider in my mill and bored the axle bore until it cleaned up fully round.
I turned the axle down 1/16 and made a split bushing that just pressed over the axle and turned that to match the bore in the slider pinch.
Once everything was tight on the newly rounded parts it was noticeably more stable and with a suitable fork brace I had a well behaved front end again.

Having my own machine shop helps but this isn't much work if you have a shop close by.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tim, Thanks for the info, thats a great deal of help.I've just bought a new axle, I'm gonna give that a try to see if that helps, if not I'll go down the route you've taken. Thanks once again very usefull feedback.

Nick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts