Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What years and models did Harley put on 3 1/2 gallon flatside tanks? Is there an easy way to tell from pictures? I want to buy a set but they all look like 4.2 Heritage tanks to me. Thanks

· Administrator
7,768 Posts
What years and models did Harley put on 3 1/2 gallon flatside tanks? Is there an easy way to tell from pictures? I want to buy a set but they all look like 4.2 Heritage tanks to me. Thanks
I think the last year for the 3-1/2 gallon tanks was '64, I think the police edition in '65 had them. After that they switched to 5 gallon tanks.

Here is an interesting thread: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80974&highlight=repop+gas+tanks

You'll see the differences between oem and repop tanks.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what you're saying is there are no original flatside 3.5 gallon tanks only the repops. I want rubber mounted ones that are original Harley, but if they weren't made I'll go with the 4.2's

· Administrator
7,768 Posts
So what you're saying is there are no original flatside 3.5 gallon tanks only the repops. I want rubber mounted ones that are original Harley, but if they weren't made I'll go with the 4.2's
No, oem 3-1/2 gallon tanks were used up until '64/'65, after that they went to 5 gallon tanks.

I included that link to show you the differences between the 3-1/2 gallon oem and repop tanks.

· Registered
900 Posts
Hd 48 Hes talking softail tanks , not Fl Shovel or Pan ,

Yes they made 3.5 Flatside Softail Tanks , you can tell by the width at the back , i will go through my books and see when they used them the only bike i know of for sure is 1988 -89 Softail Springer Custom (FXSTS) i think .... Pm me and ill get you a set of Oem's

· Registered
896 Posts
Hd 48 Hes talking softail tanks , not Fl Shovel or Pan ,

Yes they made 3.5 Flatside Softail Tanks , you can tell by the width at the back , i will go through my books and see when they used them the only bike i know of for sure is 1988 -89 Softail Springer Custom (FXSTS) i think .... Pm me and ill get you a set of Oem's

From the picture can you make out if these are 3.5?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.