Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What years and models did Harley put on 3 1/2 gallon flatside tanks? Is there an easy way to tell from pictures? I want to buy a set but they all look like 4.2 Heritage tanks to me. Thanks

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
What years and models did Harley put on 3 1/2 gallon flatside tanks? Is there an easy way to tell from pictures? I want to buy a set but they all look like 4.2 Heritage tanks to me. Thanks
I think the last year for the 3-1/2 gallon tanks was '64, I think the police edition in '65 had them. After that they switched to 5 gallon tanks.

Here is an interesting thread: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80974&highlight=repop+gas+tanks

You'll see the differences between oem and repop tanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what you're saying is there are no original flatside 3.5 gallon tanks only the repops. I want rubber mounted ones that are original Harley, but if they weren't made I'll go with the 4.2's

·
Registered
301 Posts
i believe all flatside tanks(evo) 1984 and later) were 4.2 or 5 gallon

1983 and earlier 4 speed tanks were 3.5 or 5 gallon..

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
So what you're saying is there are no original flatside 3.5 gallon tanks only the repops. I want rubber mounted ones that are original Harley, but if they weren't made I'll go with the 4.2's
No, oem 3-1/2 gallon tanks were used up until '64/'65, after that they went to 5 gallon tanks.

I included that link to show you the differences between the 3-1/2 gallon oem and repop tanks.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hd 48 Hes talking softail tanks , not Fl Shovel or Pan ,

Yes they made 3.5 Flatside Softail Tanks , you can tell by the width at the back , i will go through my books and see when they used them the only bike i know of for sure is 1988 -89 Softail Springer Custom (FXSTS) i think .... Pm me and ill get you a set of Oem's

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hd 48 Hes talking softail tanks , not Fl Shovel or Pan ,

Yes they made 3.5 Flatside Softail Tanks , you can tell by the width at the back , i will go through my books and see when they used them the only bike i know of for sure is 1988 -89 Softail Springer Custom (FXSTS) i think .... Pm me and ill get you a set of Oem's

From the picture can you make out if these are 3.5?

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
Look like 4.2's to me Nice color
Yeah they look bigger than 3.5's.

They could also be aftermarket, look at the repop emblems and the width at the rear of the tanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts