Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, ive been messing with this wiring for my 03 sportster 1200s for a while and getting pretty confused. i think .

I started with a complete bike so i have the original harness. Ive been putting it into a rigid frame and wanted to do the basic chopper harness so i found this one

so i started following that and noticed its the start and charging circut and leaves out the ignition module , cam position sensor ( which is supposedly only on this model ? ) map sensor (also only 1200s instead of v.oe.s.) and data link thats on the stock harness, which seem important , i think , (not good with wiring)

Is that diagram saying theres a way to leave that out and wire power just to the coil , somehow like a bike with points ? i feel like thats a really dumb question, and i started wiring it in already, but just curious , also not having to find spots to mount all that would be so much easier. haha

Anyone know of any aftermarket ignitions for this bike ? i searched couldnt find anything . Also started reading a little about people converting to using just 2 plugs on this motor with another ignition setup and it working??? maybe thats kinda off topic but anyway ,

any help, info, tips , hints greatly appreciated . thanks - dennis

heres a picture from a few months back,

·
Registered
426 Posts
nope! that diagram is off

the cam position sensor is on many other bikes (for instance my 93) its essentially a hall effect sensor that works with the cup inside the ignition cover behind the sensor plate, now im not 100% sure on how yours is with the dual plug heads but its the same idea, youll need to run the wires from your cam cover to that box which also controls VOES/MAP and has the wires that go out to the coil, as for your data link if you wanna do any tuning with a computer or to test codes your gonna want that port

your coil DOES NOT ground on one side!!! a coil grounds through the plug thats what creates the spark

not sure what your plans are for igntion switch, i used a marine grade key switch napa part # 18-1802. works as your on off and starter switch, if you need a horn for johnny law it has the option for a push in electronic choke wich i wired for my horn. i wouldnt bother with kill switch. you can run a hot lead off the "on" position of the key switch to your headlight and you can put a on/on toggle in the back of the bucket or wherever else you can stash it to alternate between high/low

the advantage of the stock harness for the lights is its one hot lead that goes back to a circuit breaker and than splits off front and back

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure if this answers your question but the last thing we had to put in my build ('99 883) was a dynatek dyna s ignition.

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/sportbikes/dyna_s/

Thing would not fire up with the stock ignition cause of that stupid, mmm whats it called to kill it when its over a certain angle. Angle Bank Sensor? Not matter what we tried.

Anyway put one of these in and she runs like a champ.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replys guys - got some more options to think about now .

i drew up this diagram based off the ones i was looking at ,

i didnt actually start wiring it like that just got the stuff layed out, does it look like it will work ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dam - now seeing this picture on the computer it looks way more confusing then when i was drawing it , its kinda layed out how it will hang on the bike.

the ignition module is gonna fit in the sissy bar . its gonna be behind the license plate kinda hidden . ill get better pics of this soon.

about halfway done with it, when the bar is done and fender mounted i plan on getting back to the wiring , hopefully knowing what to do with it by then.

-dennis

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
still gotta make two more bars going across to hold a mount for the ignition module, and mount the tail light and plate.

thinking about maybe loosing the point and squaring it off so it would be about a 3 inch flat top , but not sure on that yet either ,

its just tacked together for now, im thinking about having someone else finish bar with some good solid welds. i recently got a cheap little harbor freight mig to try and figure out, i can almost get a clean tack but even those are kinda gross birdshit looking blobs, just gonna keep messing around on scraps for now .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tattoo2303 - sounds like the ignition switch i got - the spring loaded part to start it , like a car would start, and the the push in option the guy at north shore cycles suggested the same thing to use that for the horn. still kinda on the fence about how i wana rig this thing.

i really like the diagram camoback posted ( thanks !) really easy to understand . i was thinking of maybe doing it like that with just the push button didnt know exactly how. leaning towards that i did think about the dyna stuff - but my budget does not even exist right now.

thanks - dennis

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fired up about an hour ago .

I followed the diagram i drew up ( pretty much the mutant diagram posted , with map/cps/and ign module added. ) probly gonna ditch the kill switch though since my key is just as easy to reach and kill the motor.
now just have to clean up/solder/heatshrink everything. its coming along - slowly - but hearing it run tonight was so awsome .

thanks for looking - Dennis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.