Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I am heading out on a road trip to pick up my cycle and did not want to take my trailer due to gas prices. I looked around and viewed receiver carriers for dirt and sport bikes. After pricing them out seeing what a POS and how flimsy they actually were I decided to build my own for cheaper than what they were charging. I built this one out of 2" square tubing with a 3/16ths wall and 1/8 inch diamond plate top. I fully tig welded everything for strength and put on 3/16ths thick tie downs to sinch the bike down. I made the carrier longer than what I needed so I can put different bikes on it. It should easily hold 800lbs and the carrier weighs about 100lbs. I put one of my shops tags on it when a neighbor came by and offered me $1000 for it so he could haul his dirt bike around with his SUV but I told him I needed it and would build him another one when I got back from my road trip. Oh well, I took it to the rino liner place today to get it coated and I will be headed out as soon as it is done. I have $180 in materials in it and then another $150 at the line-x place. I figure with about 8hrs to cut and weld everything $1000 would be a decent profit.... who knows I might start making them if there is enough demand. What do you guys think?

Oh, I put my gravity bike on it to show how the front wheel fits.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
That looks like a quality piece of equipment and a super clean build. My only question is how's the host vehicle going to like having 500 pounds suspended behind it? Not poking fun - just curious how the vehicle handles once you put the weight to it. If that works out, you may have a million dollar idea. I'd start the patent process right now today.

Another question - how do you load the bike? You could use a ramp, but what if that thing could TILT!

Truly a great idea.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rythemean said:
That looks like a quality piece of equipment and a super clean build. My only question is how's the host vehicle going to like having 500 pounds suspended behind it? Not poking fun - just curious how the vehicle handles once you put the weight to it. If that works out, you may have a million dollar idea. I'd start the patent process right now today.

Another question - how do you load the bike? You could use a ramp, but what if that thing could TILT!

Truly a great idea.
Yes you will have to have a class 3 hitch or better. Most class 3's have a 500lb tong rating and me and 2 neighbors jumped up and down on it with no problems. My wife's xterra had no problems but I would not recommend putiing it on a car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I thought about a tilting version but it would need a really heavy duty slip joint that I do not really trust. I have a short ramp that plugs into the open ends to load instead.

Truly a great idea.[/quote]

Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'v got the same thing here that I built. Only I used C-channel for the entire length for the bike to sit in instead of a deck like you have there.
I think I made mine about 5 years ago now and have hauled numerous bikes on numerous trips without any problems.

·
Registered
270 Posts
oh btw.. pulling into a nearby ditch and using an approach works great for loading if you don't have a ramp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts