Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I found this seat in the boxes that came with the bike I am doing 69xlch. I assume its not stock, before I modify it need to know if its anything special or what. second question has anyone run a tubing sissybar so as to run wires inside of it and how did it hold up?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Not a seat expert, by any sense of the word, but that looks like a old, recovered scorpion seat, from the 60's or 70's. Not to mention, that I may have the name wrong. But I had a 72 XLH, that had a seat that same shape, but with diamond stiching and buttons at each intersection. The tubing for the sissy bar, unless you get something indestructable, would not work. The longer you make it, the more likely it is to break. Even solid round stock, is not hard enough to take the vibes. It has to be something high carbon or moly. Short, grabrail type sissy bar, may be ok for the tubing, but I sure would not want to have that thing break off and stab somebody in the leg, or front tire. Maybe somebody can give you a more technical answer than mine.

·
Registered
887 Posts
How tall of a sissy bar we talking?? If it's a huge 5 footer, then it will eventually fail sometime, especially with addition holes drilled for internal wiring.

If it's a short deal, and you use thick wall, I don't see a problem. I've seen some aftermarket smallish sissybars that were round or square hollow tubing. Again, it depends on the height of it.

Keep the holes as small as possible and use gromets and silicone to keep it water tight. But again, the taller it is, the more stress is involved, and the possibility of failure increases.

Sixball

·
Registered
788 Posts
Get a thick wall tubing say 1/4 inch, run your wires and make sure there isn't any wire rubbing on Sharp parts. I'm assuming your not going to run a tail light on the top of it (correct me if if wrong) don't heat and bend it, itll make the metal more brittle. Dom works good. (Drawn over manderel)

Little d's idea sounds good, but if the wire fails on the inside, the whole thing is scrapped.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
was thinking of a secondary tail light about a foot off the fender as well as the one on the side of the hub, I have been rearended while sitting at a stoplight. my daily ride has the 3way flasher module for the turn and brake lights on it. yeah I know if someone is such a dumbass to run over a bike sitting at a stoplight the extra light probably wont help but it will make me feel better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.