Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2' long jockey shift for my right side shift triumph.
I am not able to shift easily and need advice-
1st gear is no problem but when I think I am in 2nd or 3rd, it's in neutral and that could be ghost neutral but it's hard to hear and feel it click back in the right place. Is the shifter too long? I read on here about getting new springs.

Im trying to get used to hand shifting and know it takes practice. Just want to see if there is an easier way to get the gears advancing smoothly and not be in neutral.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Huh?? A Triumph has a ratchet style transmission. If it doesn't advance to the next gear by simply pushing or pulling on the lever, somethings wrong with your trans or shift mechanism. Did it shift with the foot lever? It should work either way.
BTW, no such thing as a suicide shift. Walrus Face and Nostrils are FOS

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It works perfect with the foot shifter. The 2' long pole is so big that it is hard to feel out the shift execution with a larger span of space.

No trouble with my transmition. It's trouble with the transfer from foot to 2' pole.

What about my set up is wrong? Does it just take practice to feel out where the exact point the bike is really in the next gear?

It is safer than having the the throttle be the same hand as the shifter. Not my situation.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the same thing on mine but it's only like 10 inches long. The radis is a few inches on mine so I figure if you extended to 2 feet it would have a huge arc. I bet you not getting a full swing to get a solid shift. I can definitely tell my shifts so you may just have to shorten it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I thought of adding one but haven't decided yet. I would do it with a couple of pivot points and an adjustable turnbuckle instead of one long rod. I'd try to make it more positive instead of a big donkey dick flapping in the wind.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It works perfect with the foot shifter. The 2' long pole is so big that it is hard to feel out the shift execution with a larger span of space.

No trouble with my transmition. It's trouble with the transfer from foot to 2' pole.

What about my set up is wrong? Does it just take practice to feel out where the exact point the bike is really in the next gear?

It is safer than having the the throttle be the same hand as the shifter. Not my situation.
I don't understand your problem. When you shifted with your foot, you pulled up or pushed down as far as the mechanism would allow. The gears find themselves. Do the same thing with the jockey lever. Pull or push all the way to the end of the stroke.
As far as safety, put it back to stock with a foot shift. Jockey shifts have an allure to some riders. It is traditional and old. Back in the 50s and 60s, most HD riders had jockeys because that's what the old heaps, they rode around on, came with. Everyone, that I knew of, was looking to convert to foot shift as soon as they could find all of the parts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
often times the long throw and bouncing around of the long shifters will mess with the shifting process.
I was watching a guy with a long jockey shifter adjust his idle on a pan head and the bouncing shifter dropped it in gear and it the bike crashed into a wall.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Spacerod, I know this may upset some ,but it needs to be said.While some 15 year olds may think it is "cool",you should be aware that there are people like myself that when I see a Triumph changed from foot-shift to hand-shift,the only word that comes to mind isn't "cool" ,it's "idiot". Jack

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Spacerod, I know this may upset some ,but it needs to be said.While some 15 year olds may think it is "cool",you should be aware that there are people like myself that when I see a Triumph changed from foot-shift to hand-shift,the only word that comes to mind isn't "cool" ,it's "idiot". Jack
Agree....I just don't get the concept of three handed motorcycling.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are u speaking about this not being cool cause it is a triumph as opposed to a panhead? Or you disapprove of all jockey shifts? This forum is jockey journal right?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Are u speaking about this not being cool cause it is a triumph as opposed to a panhead? Or you disapprove of all jockey shifts? This forum is jockey journal right?
Actually if you look at their profiles they both ride Triumphs. Don't get offended, a lot of us did exactly what you're talking about doing.........and then changed it back to foot shift 5 minutes later because it sucked. As you've already stated several times, it worked great as a foot shift and it doesn't work for $hit now.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That was my question..... "Why would you do that?"

tombat

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.