Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have gotten me a 1991 Harley Sportster and it is NEAT!!! though i've got 3 issues to address before taking her out for some long rides and wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

1) When in 1st gear at times the bike wants to jolt or "Buck" a couple times (1st gear only) I read somewhere that it could be the 1st countershaft and possibly check drive chain for adjustment.

2) My gear case cover gasket is blown and makes a mess of oil when ridding so needs to be fixed. I've got the new gasket but wondering if its possible for me to perform this task. I am mechanically inclined and work on my other bikes (triumph) myself. I heard just be careful as to not let the gears come out with the cover. How difficult would it actually be to change out this gasket myself one afternoon?

and 3) while bike is running or idling the 2nd or rear cylinder has a chatter (i.e. sound) blub blub blub blub chatter chatter blub blub blub chatter blub blub..........the first cylinder is just blub blub blub blub............. to me it sounds like its misfiring or outta time but since im new to the Harleys im not exactly sure but I do know its not smooth sounding with that chatter in the 2nd cylinder.

other than that it seems to be a killer bike and want to dial her in and put down some serious miles. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
-Pod-

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
1) When in 1st gear at times the bike wants to jolt or "Buck" a couple times (1st gear only) I read somewhere that it could be the 1st countershaft and possibly check drive chain for adjustment.

You will have to open the primary cover to see what is going on, and that will take care of the leaky gasket....

2) My gear case cover gasket is blown and makes a mess of oil when ridding so needs to be fixed. I've got the new gasket but wondering if its possible for me to perform this task. I am mechanically inclined and work on my other bikes (triumph) myself. I heard just be careful as to not let the gears come out with the cover. How difficult would it actually be to change out this gasket myself one afternoon?

See above...... and who ever told ya that about the gears, bullshit!!

and 3) while bike is running or idling the 2nd or rear cylinder has a chatter (i.e. sound) blub blub blub blub chatter chatter blub blub blub chatter blub blub..........the first cylinder is just blub blub blub blub............. to me it sounds like its misfiring or outta time but since im new to the Harleys im not exactly sure but I do know its not smooth sounding with that chatter in the 2nd cylinder.

Do you have baffels in the pipes?? if not then you need torq cones or as they are allso called anti reversion cones, prevents cold air from getting to the ex valves and doing damidge, you could have dropped a valve seat!!!

And convert to a crain Hi4 or Dyna 2000i ingnition.

Hope that helps some....Roach.

·
Registered
697 Posts
and who ever told ya that about the gears, bullshit!!
Roach, those first-year five speeds CAN be prone to jumping out of first gear - the dogs are small and barely ramped at all, and even seemingly good-looking ones can be useless even with perfect selector forks.
I'm not saying that it's definately the problem in this case, (it's easier to start with belt tension, clutch, primary chain etc), but I've had a few head-scratching moments with them myself :D

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Roach, those first-year five speeds CAN be prone to jumping out of first gear - the dogs are small and barely ramped at all, and even seemingly good-looking ones can be useless even with perfect selector forks.
I'm not saying that it's definately the problem in this case, (it's easier to start with belt tension, clutch, primary chain etc), but I've had a few head-scratching moments with them myself :D
If you remove the primary cover the gears will not fall out.

And if he is talking about the cam cover, then yeah they can and will come out but you have to undo the pushrods first or you will damidge the lifters!!! Get a Clymer or H-D service book and learn the proper H-D terms, using brit terms confuses the issue and makes it hard to give ya the right advice.......

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got 3 seperate issues-

1) Im changing the "Gear Case Cover" gasket (the gears can come out with the removal of cover is what everyone has been telling me. I'll find out this weekend)

2) 1st gear in transmission my be worn and need replacement

3) the roughness of the rear cylinder running or sound

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, and I do have the service repair manual, though its vague at times and i am just doing my part by completely and thoroughly doing my research while getting any and all advice before diving in. Thanx to all. I'll be attempting this weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.