Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The early evo FXR's are great bikes but seem to be Harleys red-headed step child. In particular the clutch, trans,starter, primary.... even the aftermarket BDL, Baker, etc offers nothing for the 84-85 FX. We've added more power to the evo but that weak link needs to go. I know they have a weird offset to them but has anyone done a successfull swap to something newer?, a belt primary would be a plus......................

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, but the "weak link" with all that stuff is just what Raffy said. The clutches, starter etc. Me? if I had one that I didn't want to fuck with occasionally? You've gotta change a ton of shit. Like get another mainshaft (or tranny), newer primary cases, and the newer clutch and starter/jackshaft. Can be done, won't be cheap. Or you can ride it and keeping "adjusting" 30 year old shit! TK.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i just redid my 84 fxst and i picked up a 5 speed trans and complete primary setup w/ clutch, primary chain, compensating sprocket, inner and outer primary for $400 which i think was a smoking deal. Came out of a 96 heritage. Had to get a 5 in a 4 trans plate from vulcan engineering and a 1/2" offset chain sprocket from baker to keep it a chain final drive. it was painless installing it all.. didn't have to modify the frame or oil tank to fit and it rides 200% better than the shitty setup it came with. hell i sold the cowpie trans for $400 and the primary setup w/ starter for $175 so i made money on the deal but i'm sure it will be hard to find the deal i got on all of it. when i get home in a couple of weeks i'll snap some pics of it. I'm on vacation but i still can't stay off JJ haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just redid my 84 fxst and i picked up a 5 speed trans and complete primary setup w/ clutch, primary chain, compensating sprocket, inner and outer primary for $400 which i think was a smoking deal. Came out of a 96 heritage. Had to get a 5 in a 4 trans plate from vulcan engineering and a 1/2" offset chain sprocket from baker to keep it a chain final drive. it was painless installing it all.. didn't have to modify the frame or oil tank to fit and it rides 200% better than the shitty setup it came with. hell i sold the cowpie trans for $400 and the primary setup w/ starter for $175 so i made money on the deal but i'm sure it will be hard to find the deal i got on all of it. when i get home in a couple of weeks i'll snap some pics of it. I'm on vacation but i still can't stay off JJ haha
That's the info I'm looking for but yours being a soft tail it might be different.

G

·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to do the 90 up splined shaft. Getting it properly shimmed and aligned is my concern there's a weird drive sprocket on these 1984's too. That's why I ask if anyone has done it successfully.

Yes the major problem is that tapered and keyed shaft...bad design. Clunky transmission and weak starter too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a spline shaft 5-speed in my 81FLT, now it has a 1993 spline shaft with built in oil tank, If you want the newer tranny spline shaft you will need a complete inner,outer primary setup with matching starter. The rest is just lineing up the sprockets or pulley.
Primo makes a clutch for everything--AND THEY WORK VERY WELL.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I had a spline shaft 5-speed in my 81FLT, now it has a 1993 spline shaft with built in oil tank, If you want the newer tranny spline shaft you will need a complete inner,outer primary setup with matching starter. The rest is just lineing up the sprockets or pulley.
I was reading that post and thought "damn, that sounds familiar." Then I looked at the username. Greg, click the link at the bottom of my signature for a chuckle.

Small world.

G

·
The Primo Pro-Clutch for the 89 and back adds beef to the clutch hub in design...

What Harley had going on was very weak on the hub....
So weak that on the first few years of those, they would break at the keyway cut and the fingers....A second generation came to the rescue with a reinforced steel center hub....Still weak if you play hard with added pony's going on...

After-market sold a reinforcement hub sleeve to be pressed on, made them for both the Aluminum one piece type (First Run) and the Steel two piece (Second up-dated run). This helped in beefing the key slot some.
If you was going to stay with the tapper/keyed mainshaft the Primo would be the ticket....

But ...
You can abuse the spine shaft (90-up) with higher HP, wider tires (More contact patch), hole-shots, burn-outs and have no problems from the key walking in the hub/shaft...
Shoot...Probably could hang a side-car on it with the wife and kids aboard and still smoke the tire..!!

Unless to have this going on....

Going to break shi# anyway if you Hot-Dog it...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.