Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a nice little 83 Ironhead, its got mag wheels with dual discs in the front. The two front calipers have play in them, I can move them with my hand. I see no spacers in between the calipers and fork legs which Im assuming I'm missing. The bolts are tightened all the way down and they still have play. Ironhead experts tell me whats up...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I believe those are floating calipers, they are supposed to have some play. The inner pad is fixed, so the only way it can move away from the rotor when the brake is released is to allow the caliper itself to move.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh, weird never heard of them, just did a little research on 'em. After researching I understand they have some "play".. but should they have some sort of bushing between them to lessen the "rattle" they make?

·
Registered
317 Posts
They're supposed to rattle, they're Harley brakes.... Ya might wanna pick up a parts catalog and see if there are some missing anti rattle clips, mine only goes up to 76, so I cant help ya there.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Make sure you have the correct "shouldered" bolt holding the caliper on the leg. If you use a regular bolt, it will be loose fit on the caliper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.