Jockey Journal Forum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Looking at the Pazon system it does seem more tolerant of lower voltages, working even as low as 8 volts . Reading up a bit it is suggested that the early Boyers fail at low battery voltages and I believe this to be an early model which makes me think it could be the cause of the original fault. Just a theory though but may advise to fit a new ignition system anyway and Pazon looks to be the way to go if he wants to certain its efficient and reliable. (y)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Starting is carb float height if your on Amal’s

Reactions: SUMP55

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I run a pazon with no batt and a capacitor starts first kick I was told 4 volts

Reactions: SUMP55

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Yes Richbob I did read you can run without a battery and with just a condenser/capacitor. Will check float levels its the later amal mk2 concentric carbs though he says it was only after use trying to restart when hot. The guy he took it to originally supposedly stripped and sonically cleaned and set up the carbs twice and I presume he would have checked the float levels also. But I will check again at some point and for sure every system that would affect starting will need to be checked out. (y)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Very fastidiously check the manifold rubbers Fer any cracks... concentric r what lots of folks run n enjoy... mk2 left a bad taste in my mouth, I changed it all around n run 389/689 monoblocks.. stonehenge simple n clean every oriface whilst still on the bike... but I'm a dinosaur... lots of great intimate knowledge here and we enjoy and appreciate it greatly!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Very fastidiously check the manifold rubbers Fer any cracks... concentric r what lots of folks run n enjoy... mk2 left a bad taste in my mouth, I changed it all around n run 389/689 monoblocks.. stonehenge simple n clean every oriface whilst still on the bike... but I'm a dinosaur... lots of great intimate knowledge here and we enjoy and appreciate it greatly!
Checked to day Brent all good no cracks or splits.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Thanks for the reply Ducbsa appreciate your input. Just checked it out and its the single phase alternator that creates the problem by the look of things this one has a three phase system and Podtronics controlor. In any case a missfire wasn't the original issue it was a failure to start after a run when hot. Could be a combination of things or just one thing breaking down. Done a bit of reading on the Boyer ignition set up and found my answer to the timing. In the installation instructions it says the stator plate and reluctor are set at maximum advance just as I thought. Whatever I have to go through al of the wirng it just a jumbled mess and amazed it ever ran at all. Pic below.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas Wire

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh my!! That actually looks pretty good compared to alot of these old bikes... color coded, neat n well grounded, w extra insulation! !!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
That's what I thought. It's at least two ticks better than my usual effort.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yep gots ta love the bikes w black wire every where, pieces of cheap extension chord... wire nuts n friction tape... elliot lucas would be impressed!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Tidying up the frame as good as I can do without a nut and bolt strip down. Rust remover washed etch primed and satin black. looks a whole lot better just for a few hours of work out in the fresh air.
Quick question. The rear shocks look to be original and the owner complained of a hard bumpy ride though the after market low ride seat has virtually no padding. Not my choice but he likes it but it is bolted to the frame which gives no easy access to the battery and electrics. . Do these shocks adjust? they seem to have an adjusting collar on the top but unsure. Gas shocks would be an option I guess.. Cheers guys Happy New Year.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame
Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Crankset Bicycle tire

·
Registered
98 Posts
Frame looking much better, just make sure everything that needs is well grounded, esp engine. The rear shicks, I can't see well enuff in yer pics, but mostr adj, if original or emgo copies... I'd chuck em n find better, yes adj Gass r much nicer, I put used bmw shocks on mine to add 1 " height on my 79, but I'm long legged. Much nicer ride, plus u can trick the front end into being much nicer easily.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Best I can recall, the stock shocks are adjustable for preload; I forget whether a c-wrench is required, think not though.

A hard bumpy ride is exactly what you can expect out of Tri/BSA shocks. It's all the worser if your weight, like mine, is about that of a starveling orphan. I think their designers' objective was: keeping the tire in contact with the road, 99.4%; rider comfort, whatever was left over.

You prepared the frame for painting in an unlazy way, so its improved looks should last awhile. Random NB: I've had my best success in quick 'n dirty repaints using Rustoleum and signpainters' brushes. A <1" fitch works best for nooks, niches, irregular-shaped fiddly areas, and rough castings; a stroke brush for smooth-surfaced, highly visible tubes. 'Course, fairly cheap natural-bristle hardware store brushes work too.

(I have no good or bad retail experience of the shop linked above. The link is just to illustrate what I'm blabbering about.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Hi all making a little progress. New 4 valve oil pump arrived but discovered that the body is deeper and needs longer cap head screws so have those on order.
Identifying wiring, remaking dodgy connections and trying to tidy redundant wiring that's been chopped off and left hanging. More paint for the frame front and rear mud guards, working out rear engine mount plate fitment, center mount and front mount bolts and spacers and also. Don't ask me what the small copper rivets on the periphery of the mudguards are all about they serve no purpose .
Just a reminder have never stripped a Motorcycle in my life including this one that came in many boxes so its taking me a while.!
Topped up and recharged the battery and seems to be holding 12.5 volts after a few days though any doubts and it will be changed.
Talked to the owner again last week and I got it wrong with the hot start problem . It turns out it was struggling to start when cold and gradually got worse over a few weeks after he had the carbs rebuilt TWICE!
After a little research and stripping back paint I believe this one started life as a T150ES Executive special edition one of the last made at the Meriden factory.
A pic below of how its has transformed
Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Audio equipment Electrical supply Gas
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive design
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Fender Natural material
Hood Wood Fender Marine biology Snout
Tire Wood Wheel Gas Engineering
Font Material property Plant Gas Signage
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
!!! Has this bike got an electric starter? I went back and rooted right through this thread; to my relief, there are no pics of the ES-type timing cover. I mean, I had assumed it was kickstart.

Wonder if an unruint example of the (rare, I would guess) ES model is worth more than a standard '70s Bonnie.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
!!! Has this bike got an electric starter? I went back and rooted right through this thread; to my relief, there are no pics of the ES-type timing cover. I mean, I had assumed it was kickstart.

Wonder if an unruint example of the (rare, I would guess) ES model is worth more than a standard '70s Bonnie.
Hi Ratso. Yes started life as an electric start but no more as the starter motor has been removed long ago and the cover blanked off with a crude copper plate.Still have some of the redundant wiring loom which I have had to trace and tidy. I'll put up an image at some point.
As far as I can gather, although an ingenious and imaginative design to convert an old design they were troublesome. The cover on this one has all of the mechanicals, transfer gears etc, with evidence of a past event that may well have been the cause of the original crankshaft problem. The timing gears have an oversize, heavy and bulky intermediate gear with a sprag clutch that often failed.
Ideally I would have liked to have converted back to normal gears and cover but think it could be more involved and not worthwhile. I don't believe they are held in that high a regard by enthusiasts especially in the state his one is in though an original example would still be desirable.
Hard to imagine how it metamorphosed from that 1981 tourer into what it is now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
A little more progress. Engine in frame and hoisted up high on a pull lift and set on trestles and an old workmate so I can
continue assembly though will have to lift engine up and change the two front bottom crankcase bolts around to face the other way as the protruding threads are fouling the frame. Tidied up the wiring and remade a few connections and continued with tidying the frame etc. Prepared tank for some paint etc. Never ever be a show winner but I think it the bike will end up looking half decent.
Some rust in bottom of tank and both fuel taps are knackered the main tap having no filter when I removed and the reserve breaking off in the tank. Soft diecast material so not very tough. No fuel filter on tank main is a concern considering the problems the bike had. Two new
taps now on order.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Window Fluid Vehicle Gas Cylinder
Pink Helmet Creative arts Artifact Gas
Automotive tail & brake light Fuel tank Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Asphalt Road surface Terrestrial animal Concrete Tail
Tool Household hardware Wood Auto part Gas

81 - 100 of 102 Posts