Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i bought this bike last december as a first bike. by the time march rolled around i wanted to hardtail it. and i thought i could get it done in time for the summer! boy was i naive.

heres how it stood when i got it.

and after ordering a hardtail i got a friend to weld it on. after it was welded i realized the engine was just not gonna fit. after trying a few different things the engine just would fit it. so i called the maker of the hardtail and he had me send my frame back to him because he thought he knew where he messed up. and he would weld it on. after i got it back i had the same exact problem. after trying again to make it fit i realized i couldnt do it on my own. i called the guy and he said he didnt know what to say. so i brought it to a local guy. some of you may know him dave a.k.a tigman and he figured out the problem all the while pointing out the other flaws in the frame. frustrating experience but. heres how she stands now

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
im in the process of figuring out spacers for my rear wheel. i realized my caliper bracket may be too thick so i had it milled down so i could space it better.

heres how it looks

·
Registered
689 Posts
looks to me like that hardtail was for 78' and earlier sporty frames. 79's were different in the seat casting area and used a different weld on. I think the one I used on my 79 was made by santee, but they only offered one that fit in a wide tire application. The rear area looked kinda silly being that wide with me only running a 130 in there. Glad to hear a member here got you fixed up.

·
Registered
689 Posts
also, when you do your rear brakes, look for an 81' style sprocket cover and get rid of that stupid linkage setup for the master cylinder that was only on 79's. Then you can run any rear pipe you want too, instead of the ugly bent up 79 only stuff. Your rear brakes will work more effectively also.

·
Registered
601 Posts
hey cregulator, i couldn't post this in the pm. I don't know how. here's my rear set up spacer pic. i just used the stock spacer with the new bracket that i replaced the 79 one with. i dont understand why you milled it thinner. is the hardtail too narrow?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got home from tour and im ready to return to working on the bike. ive acquired a newer rear brake caliper a 2001 sportster caliper to be exact. Thanks for the picture RIt100. i think ive figured out a way for me to get the measurement for that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also got found a 81 sprocket cover to convert to the lower master cylinder. does any body have experience switching these over? any tips or pointers on making that work?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.