Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just snatched out this all original 1979 FLH. Missing the sadlebags lids but hoping to get those and the exhaust on a swapmeet or else. I was told this was a limited edition version.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, plan is to have the original leather seat repaired and get the new lids painted to match the bags. For now I will put a low seat on it and Longrider big and heavy leather saddlebags. Will have to wash it first. It is cold and freezing outside. How to wash a bike inside the garage and not to make a lot of mess????? It has like 30 years of oil and grime on it and I have to get it cleaned. Anyone?????

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
run it through the very local carwash when the thermometer gets over 30 degrees, good luck looks like a great find

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a friend that owned a detail shop. We used to use the Wesley's White Wall cleaner concentrate. Dilute it and spray it on. Used to clean up engine compartments pretty good. And it didn't cost an arm and leg to mix up. Good luck. And their talking high 40's this weekend here in IL.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the damage...

Original medallion mounts have rotten out, has anyone have a quick fix for this issue?????Glue, double tape????

·
Registered
935 Posts
any good degreaser,like royal purple ,and a leaf blower to blow the mess out of the garage will help minimize the mess if you do it inside,probably do it several times seems it usually cant be done once.the leaf blower dries the bike nicely as well when you finish.then its time to break out the aluminum polish the chrome polish and the beer. you may be able to clean the badge mount holes and epoxy some new screws in nice find

·
Administrator
7,801 Posts
How to wash a bike inside the garage and not to make a lot of mess????? It has like 30 years of oil and grime on it and I have to get it cleaned. Anyone?????
No prob. I got that thing for $4K......
Damn good deal there. Don't clean that bike, you've got 30 years of real patina, enjoy that bike and don't look back.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I picked up one just like yours, turned it into this. Still have boxes of small parts in the garage I think. No box covers but lots of other stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts